reality | forty-four

"I sing of a greater love,
Let me know when you've had enough."

. . . . .

"So what do we do now?" I asked as I glanced over at my best friend.

Tyler said nothing as he stared at the computer screen we both sat in front of. We had spent weeks, almost every minute of every day in our garage perfecting the last few songs for our album. And we were finally done.

"We pay to put it on iTunes." Tyler finally spoke up. "And we put it on YouTube and anywhere else we can share it."

I nodded my head along with his words as a slight anxious feeling washed over me. I had loved every minute of the recording process, even with the disagreements we had, it all helped to create something both of us could be proud of.

"We need to start searching for more venues to play." Tyler spoke again and with the thoughtful look on his face it was obvious his mind was running on overdrive. "You up for that?"

I nodded only after hesitating for a split second. "Definitely."

The muffled sounds of people outside briefly caught my attention, but as Tyler continued to talk about all the places we could play and possible festival slots we could join in on had me pushing it to the back of my brain.

"Once the weather gets warm there will be plenty of outside festivals happening." Tyler's eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he clicked a few things on the computer. "We'll have to figure out transportation and other equipment, but that can come later..."

My eyes averted from my friend as the commotion from outside got exponentially louder. I stared hard at the shut garage door, focusing my hearing on the yells. My forehead creased and I could feel my heart began to pick up speed as Tyler's voice faded out as well.

Tyler stood from his seat, muttering something about noisy neighbors as he made his way to the garage door most likely to tell whoever it was to quiet down. But as he pulled open the door I could see his entire body go rigid, and I stood slowly from where I sat once he turned back around and I saw the look on his face.

I rushed toward the door and my eyes instantly caught sight of the family I knew so well across the street. My jaw tightened and I felt anger start to bubble up inside me as my eyes land on the tall man I had met only once in the grocery store a little over a week ago.

Trisha stood by him on the porch, her mouth covered by her hand so her words were muffled and unable to be heard from where I stood. Without a thought I began to make my way down our driveway with my eyes set on the man.

I stop short as he descended the porch steps, Johnny exiting the house to chase after him. The young boy grabbed at the tails of his father's coat and it was then that I heard the first clear set of words. My heart ached as I watched the scene unfold in front of me.

"Please just stay a little longer!" Johnny begged as he tugged on his father's jacket. "I'll be better, I promise!"

Tears stung my eyes as I hurried in their direction and I could hear Tyler's footsteps from behind me. I made it up over their lawn just as Bryce made her way down the stairs and toward her nephew. Trisha still stood on the porch, a shocked look evident on her face. She obviously had no idea how to handle what she was seeing.

My mind was running a mile a minute and I didn't think anyone realized Tyler and I's presences until I came up next to Bryce and pulled her back and away from the father and son. Her eyes were just as wide as her sisters and her paled skin had my stomach turning over in anguish. Everything was moving so quickly I couldn't even think straight, the only thing on my mind was keeping these people safe. My eyes turned back to the scene in the driveway as Johnny continued after his father when the man made his way to his car.