reality | forty-nine

"Though I'm weak and beaten down,
I'll slip away into this sound."

. . . . .

Tyler's lips were parted ever so slightly as he silently mouthed the words to his song, his fingers pressing lightly against the piano keys. My best friend was a genius when it came to music and I was happy to be able to play along side him.

The pretty melody faded out, but my attention stayed on the remnants of the sound that was left behind. After a moment I lifted my gaze toward my friend across the room, shifting slightly to get more comfortable on the stool behind my drum kit.

"We need to rethink our set list," Tyler spoke up once he knew he had my full attention. "I think we should play Fall Away."

I bit at my lip and nodded. We had three shows scheduled within the next week and a half, which was a lot for us, seeing as my confidence in playing had only just barely reached the surface of my mind. Tyler needed me to be ready. I needed me to be ready.

I knew the nervousness and anxiety I had about going out on stage in front of people would never go away. If it did then pushing myself to play that much better might not be as fun anymore and I didn't want to lose that feeling of growth with each show we played. It felt as though I was practically bearing part of my soul to strangers within a 45 minute set and as scary as it was for me to let people see that side of both Tyler and I, there was a purpose behind it and I knew we would be able to connect with fans that much more by putting it all out there. 

"I like that idea," I responded as I tapped my sticks against the side of my drums absentmindedly. "Maybe we could switch out Run and Go for Guns For Hands?"

Tyler nodded along with what I had said, quickly writing a few notes down on a sheet of paper to reference again later. As he did so my eyes trailed along the wall near the garage door where a stack of unfolded cardboard boxes sat waiting. Next to them were three half full boxes filled with miscellaneous things that Tyler planned to take with him when he left.

As nervous as I was about playing more shows, there was one thing that I could say scared me more. Even though he would only be a few short miles away, this would be the last day I'd be able to call Tyler my roommate.

Tyler had been my safety blanket for years. He was there just to hang out and do nothing with. He was there for all the nights I woke up feeling the need to puke after one of my nightmares. He was the one who pushed me out of my comfort zone with playing music... and with Bryce. Tyler always knew the right thing to say and the right time to say it. He was my best friend, my brother, and that would always stay the same.

"You ready for tomorrow?" Tyler broke the comfortable silence between us.

I had been completely zoned out, staring at the small space between one of the drumheads and the stand for the cymbal. All the negative thoughts and concerns I had about everything seemed a little less important as my friend smiled at me with unwavering confidence. He knew we'd be just fine.

My body grew warm at his words. It was a sick excited feeling that washed over me every time either of us brought up the fact that Tyler would be moving out tomorrow and Bryce would be moving in.

It was bittersweet, but now with everything good that was going on in our lives it was time to make the biggest change of all. I kept telling myself that I wasn't losing my best friend, but instead helping him live out his dreams just like he was doing the same for me. Like he had been trying to do for me all this time.

I looked up to meet Tyler's bright eyes, the same excited yet unknowing look mirrored in my own. A lopsided smile spread across my face as I nodded in response.

"Yeah, I'm ready."

. . . . .

A/N: One. More. Chapter. Holy crap. This was just a nice little transition chapter for you. I know I've said this a hundred times or more, and I'll probably say it again, but thank you. This book was never supposed to last this long, but it has and I'm grateful to all the people who stayed till the every end.

.