dream sequence | forty-one

The quiet sounds of dew droplets rolling from blades of grass filled the cool night air. Grey smoke continuously poured into the sky from the embers of the burnt car that never seemed to go out.

Mud and ash engraved themselves into my clothes and on my skin, creating a dusty film that wouldn't wash off. My body lay sprawled out on the ground by the side of the vacant road, unmoving and unwilling to find a way from my mind's wreckage.

The paper still crumpled in my hands called out to me in a soft whisper, reminding me of the words left by my shadow. He would never be gone. He just found ways of tricking me into believing that I had a chance to get away.

I blinked my eyes rapidly to rid the tears that had sprung up and shook my head. With tattered clothes and trembling limbs, I stood from the ground. It took much strength to climb the grassy ridge and make it back onto the road, but I pushed the feeling of my pained muscles to the back of my head.

Once again I stood in front of the skeleton of the car that had been driving me in circles. My eyes combed the ash until I saw what I was searching for. The red and orange glow of the burning embers was almost nonexistent, but it was just enough.

I crouched down, smoothing out the edges of the paper before I held it out over the hot ash. The end of the page ignited and I let it fall in with the rest of the burnt interior. The paper sizzled and tiny crackling noises sounded out as though the page was screaming in agony. I watched it burn, the warmth from the newly risen flames giving me hope.

As the last bit of white fibers singed into black, I stepped away from the car. I wandered around hubcaps and wires, turning my back to the gravesite that now held the last words of my shadow. My feet carried me down the silent road and never once did I look back.

If my shadow was with me till death, then I knew he'd surely be following close behind.

.