reality | forty-one

"Empty sky, no way,
that's me cause one half of my heart is free."

. . . . .

My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, my eyes darting from left to right as I watched for any kids that may find it funny to run across the road while I pulled into the middle school parking lot.

The car rolled to a complete stop next to the curb and I switched it into park, immediately resting back against my seat in wait. I scrunched my nose in memory of middle school as I watched kids begin to pour out of the building. When I was 10, the 5th graders would have still technically been in the elementary school across town, but just this year they had been shifted over to the addition added onto the middle school. So now Johnny had to roam the halls with kids years older than him and sometimes I wondered, if like myself, other kids pushed him around.

I shook my head from my thoughts as I saw Johnny come bounding down the front staircase. He paused only briefly to scan the line-up of cars and when he saw mine a huge smile appeared on his face. I shifted slightly, unbuckling my seatbelt before I got out of the car.

"What's up, my man?" I held my hand out for a low-five, which Johnny quickly returned.

"I told my class today all about how I got to go to your show over the weekend and everyone was so jealous!" He had a sly grin on his face and I shook my head at his young ego, the thoughts of him being bullied completely vanishing. This kid was too cool for anyone to even consider picking on him.

"John stop boasting and get in the car." I looked up from my tiny friend at the sound of Bryce's voice.

"Can I ride up front today?" Johnny asked as he looked between his aunt and I.

"Uhh..." I to glanced at Bryce for approval and after a moment she nodded her head.

"Sweet!"

"Careful in the road," I spoke up as Johnny rushed around the car and opened the passenger side door.

Johnny had always been a bit more aware of things in life, which in turn made him seem more mature than an average 10 year old. Now since he's been moved to the middle school, he's gotten that much more knowledgeable. It was a weird feeling to watch a kid start to grow up right in front of my eyes.

"He needs a new notebook," Bryce spoke after we had both watched him safely get into the car. "He's already practically destroyed the one he has. I don't know how he does it."

"We'll stop by the grocery store and pick one up before I take him home." I smiled down at my girlfriend.

"You are the best!" She sighed loudly in appreciation. "Here, let me give you some money..."

"What- No!" I laughed and pushed her hand away when she tried to give me a couple of dollars.

"Josh." Bryce stared up at me sternly and I could only imagine her using the same tone when one of her students mouthed off. "Take the money."

An amused laugh escaped me as I stepped away from her when she tried to stuff the cash into the front pocket of my jeans. She grunted at my childishness before she placed her hands on her hips and stared up at me with a raised eyebrow. I bit at my lip nervously as my stomach tied into knots. Even her annoyed look caused butterflies to erupt inside me.

"I think I can pay for a notebook." I tilted my head to the side as I inspected her pretty face.

I then grabbed her wrist with the hand that still held the money and pulled her to me, giving her a quick kiss. Bryce puffed out a breath of air as we pulled away and I could finally see a smile on her face. Today must have been extra stressful for her, so taking over the task of getting Johnny school supplies left one less thing for her or her sister to deal with.