reality | forty-three

"Your shaking shoulders prove that it's colder,
Inside your head than the winter of dead."

. . . . .

"I think we can finish up Ms. Believer by the end of the week." Tyler's back faced me as he scribbled tiny notes down onto the whiteboard.

The computer chair I sat in leaned back as I slouched further into the cushy seat, my eyes roaming the board in beep thought. We were so close to being done with the recording process, it almost scared me. Soon we would no longer be in the confines of our garage, but instead out searching for ways to show our music to the world.

I rubbed my hand across my jaw, scratching at the small bit of dark stubble that had accumulated there. A lopsided smile formed on my lips as Tyler turned back to me and tapped the end of the dry erase marker against the whiteboard.

"So all that's left is a few finishing touches on Pantaloon and then..." His eyes searched the board momentarily before he glanced back at me. "Air Catcher."

"I think we can knock those out in about a week if all goes well," He concluded.

I nodded along with his words and just as my lips parted to speak, there was a loud banging on the garage door. Both Tyler and I's faces mirror each other, our eyebrows furrowing in confusion as to who would knock on the garage instead of the front door. Then it clicked in my head and I quickly stood from my chair and hurried to the door, pulling it open. There was only one person it could be.

Bryce stood in the doorway and I felt my body go rigid at her flushed cheeks and glassy eyes. She was the type of angry where involuntary tears began to form and that on its own just made it worse, causing more anger to bubble up. The silent 10 year old that stood next to her had a solemn look on his face, his nose scrunched in thought.

And again before I had a chance to speak Tyler came up from behind me. "Hey, Johnny boy! This is a great surprise."

Tyler ushered the two into the garage, the air turning an awkwardly thick density. "Jenna is making dinner. Have you two eaten yet?"

"N-no." I cringed at the tone of Bryce's voice as she answered. She sounded so small.

"Well I'll take Johnny into the house." He laid his arm around the boy as he spoke. "And we'll help Jenna finish up."

Without a word Johnny followed after my best friend and disappeared into the house. My forehead creased as I turned to looked at Bryce once the door had shut. I reached out hesitantly and ran a hand over her arm in a soothing manner. Sometimes a simple touch is all a person needs to know they aren't alone.

Bryce let out a quick, exasperated sigh before she stepped toward me and wrapped her arms around my waist. I instantly hugged her back and pulled her closer as she pressed her face against my chest.

"Trisha and Paul are over at the house right now." Bryce's words were slightly muffled from the fabric of my shirt.

My fingers moved up and down her back slowly and as she lifted her head to look up at me, I brushed a few stray waves of her hair behind her ear. Bryce's eyes fluttered shut for a moment, her breath evening out for a second, before she unwrapped herself from me and took a step back.

I felt pained and I wished there was something I could do to help her. Bryce must have been feeling the same as me, but for her sister. We were both helpless in that moment.

"Why don't we go inside?" I spoke quietly. "Eating something might do you good."

Bryce pursed her lips in thought, but nodded nonetheless. I pressed my hand against the small of her back and led her over to the door that went into the house, reaching out and opening it for her.