dream sequence | thirty-eight

The sky above was a flat grey, tuffs of white popping up here and there as though the clouds couldn't fully shine through. Water drenched my shirt as I lay flat on my back. My body shook slightly as the freezing waves lapped up the shore before once again drifting out into the lake. The outcropping of the tree line that stood behind me, let their branches reach out over my head to cage my vision just the slightest bit.

The ice that had encapsulated the branches dripped like tears that fell down against my cheeks. The ice was melting, but the fear of something horrible happening was still rested deep inside me.

My fingers dug into the sandy dirt of the shoreline, aiding me in sitting up straight. I felt dizzy and I placed a hand on my forehead, hoping the slight pressure would help the pain disappear, muddy water trickling down my arm as I did so.

Flashes of the tiny ball of light invaded my head and I shut my eyes quickly relishing the warmth I felt at just the thought. Was the melting of the ice the outcome of finally obtaining that light?

The waves that tugged at my feet pulled my back from my thoughts. The murky water continuously called out for me to join it, but I didn't listen. The wind picked up then, blowing sea spray across my face and whipping my hair around. Tiny damp tendrils stuck to my forehead as my eyes scanned over the bleak landscape.

My chest tightened and my jaw set as a black mass stood out amongst all the grey. His body bobbed up and down from the rolling waters, his eyes fixed on my position. But my shadow didn't move. He didn't tease me or laugh at my expense, he just watched. A chill ran up my spine, but I didn't dare move. I was going to hold my ground this time.

And then he was gone. As though he had seen enough for the time being, he sunk down into the depths of the lake to lie in wait.

.