dream sequence | thirty-five

The air was below freezing as the wind picked up and carried tiny cyclones of snow dust across the lake's icy surface. Everything that the eye could see looked like a desaturated wasted of greys and blues. There was nothing in sight, no land formations, no clumps of dead trees blurred from the falling snow. There was just ice.

Blood rushed to my cheeks as the wind circled around me, gathering my t-shirt in its clutches and tugging at the thin material. Though I knew in my mind it was cold, I couldn't feel it. And for some reason that notion put me on edge.

I took a hesitant step forward, but halted when the ice behind me creaked and shifted. My body froze for a moment, but then I pivoted ever so slowly until I had turned to face in the direction of the noise.

There standing a few feet behind me was my shadow. My heart started to pick up speed as I stared straight through him. I had never seen him that way before. It was as though his body was losing its density, but that fact didn't put me at ease, it actually scared me more than anything.

My eyes widened as his arm started to rise up as though he was reaching out to grab at me. I let out a gasping yell as he lunged toward suddenly and I braced myself for the impact.

His grinning face shook me to the core and I closed my eyes, shielding my face with my arms and planting my feet firmly on the ground. A wave of air hit me, my shadow breaking into tiny black particles just as he came into contact with me.

My breath hitched in my throat and I fell back in surprise, landing flat on my back. I sat up quickly gasping for air as I looked wildly about my surroundings. I shuddered when I looked up to see the sand-like particles that made up my shadow danced above my head.

I watched in awe as a gust of wind ran across the lake once again, capturing what was left of him and sending him up into the atmosphere.

.