dream sequence | thirty-four

"Just stop trying..." My shadow stood over me as I continued to tug on the strangers hand.

I shut my eyes tightly and strained my mind to remember who it was I was trying so hard to save. Snow began to fall from the sky, filtering down and dusting the lakes surface with its glistening particles.

A cold hand gripped my wrists, the harsh feeling burning my skin the second my shadow came into contact with me. My hands immediately retracted from the touch and in an attempt to escape the sudden pain to my flesh, I had in turn felt a pain in my chest.

The tight grip I had on the stranger's hand loosened and now there was only a hazy cloud of bubbles where they once were. My body ached as I hunched over the hole and submerged my hands into the water. Everything went still as my shadow's deep laugh sounded out.

My shoulders shook as I gripped the edge of the hole, my fingers turning purple the longer I held on. Tears weld up in my eyes as the realization that I had failed once again hit me. I whipped my gaze up toward my shadow, a glare evident on my face, but I knew I looked pitiful.

"Look what you've done!" My shadow teased me with another laugh as a grin formed on his face.

"Look how you failed."

.