Challenge Accepted

The team finishes practice. As everyone on the team dresses into their real clothes, Q wants me to go in to talk to the team.

I put my clipboard in my office and head down the hall to the locker room.  I'm about to turn the corner when I hear my name in a conversation; I stop so no one can see me.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you", one person says. It's Andrew Shaw. 

"Why not? She's cute, and by the looks of her, she's low maintenance, and in a good way. Not like Lindsey was, a high maintenance gold digger", the other one says. It's Captain Serious himself. I did hear that he just broke up with Lindsey, Dad told us. He took it hard for about a week, then after that, he got over it quick, like the snap of his fingers. 

"You've never actually met her, have you?" Shaw asks Jonathan.

"No?" he questions himself. "Why would I?"

"She's his oldest. She's always here", Shaw says in disbelief, as in, shocked that the Captain, who has been on the team for almost five years, doesn't know who I am. "And everyone knows not to go near her, to look at her like that". That's true. Dad's number one rule is to not go near any of his kids. His one rule, not to go near his three daughters, and I just happen to be the oldest, as Shaw just said.

"Challenge accepted", Toews answers, and I could tell that there was a smirk on his face by the tone in his voice. 

That's not a challenge, that's mission impossible. The second my father finds out about any suspicion, the guy is benched until he learns his lesson. Only one other person has tried it before was David Rundblad, on my middle sister, Mia. He was benched for five games, falsely placed on IR. He learned his lesson real quick. Mia was nineteen, she was grounded for a month.

I take a deep breath, look over my clip board for a moment, then finish my walk down the hall into the locker room. "Okay guys. Take a seat". Everyone takes a seat at their lockers and plant their eyes on me. "So, I'm your new head trainer. I'm very excited to be working here. I've loved your team ever since I was little", I look at each of the guys for a quick second.

Seabrook coughs something under his breath sarcastically, "Suck up", I smirk at him quickly.

"Anyway", I change the subject as the laughs die down. "My job in a nutshell, in case you didn't know. I know everything about your health and training activities. I will be switching up your routines slightly to make sure your health is in optimal condition for every game coming up this season. I will be mostly working with only a few of you each day. I want to do a physical on each of you every other week. I need to make sure you are to the best of your abilities for every game, or Coach Q will kill me. Have I made myself clear?"

All of them nod and mutter a "Yes, Ma'am".

"Okay, good. I'm glad to have met you all", I walk out the door, then turn back to them, who are still watching me. "Oh yeah. I'm younger than most of you. I'm not Ma'am", I smile and finish my walk out of the room.

I walk back into my new office, and by now, it's already noon. Dad promised me lunch on my first day, so I take out an apple from my bag, wash it, and start eating it. I go over papers and information about the players and the team itself. I set my personal settings on my work tablet and my computer to make them how I want them. 

A knock comes from my open door. I look up from the tablet to see Toews leaning on the door frame, arms crossed over his chest. "Hello, Mr. Toews", I say to him. "What can I do for you?"

"I just wanted to introduce myself personally", he smiles. He walks over to my desk. "So, I'm Jonathan. It's very nice to meet you, CJ...", he questions me, as in he was asking for my last name.

"Quenneville", I hesitate.

"So, it's true" he nods slowly to himself. I cock my head to question him. "You're Q's daughter. Shaw told me earlier, but I didn't really believe him. I might have made a bet, so now I'm down twenty bucks".

"Well, I'm glad to see you know", I check the clock, 12:55. I shake his hand. He gives me a flirty kind of smile. No way, man. Not gonna happen. "Now, I'm sorry. But I have to meet Q for lunch in five minutes, if you excuse me".

"Why don't you call him Dad?" he asks as I close my office door behind me.

"I do", I start to explain to him. "But whenever we're here, I call him Q, because that's what everyone else calls him. It's more of a respect thing, since he's technically my boss in this building. But when we are at home or stuff like that, I call him Dad".

Jonathan walks me down the hall to Q's office. The door is open just a crack, which means he is talking with someone right now. I lean against the wall across from it, still talking to Jonathan, while he leans against the wall next to the door.

While we talk, which definitely isn't about work matter, I can only think one thing.

This is not going to end well. This is a bad Idea.