Tell Him

After losing in the semifinals, the Hawks season is over. I've dreaded this time of year, and not because I don't have a job to do for the next two months, but because it's time to tell my parents that I'm dating Jonathan. It's been eight months, and I promised myself I would do it at the end of the season.

I've decided that I would tell my parents alone, at home, leaving them time to be mad at me. I've already anticipated it, and I know it's going to be bad.

"I don't want to go", I tell Jonathan, slightly pouting. We sit in my bed, after him spending the night here. He has a photoshoot with the team this morning.

"Baby", Jonathan hugs me. "You have to. It's your promise to the end of the season. You know that".

"But that doesn't have to be today. I could go with you to the shoot today, and tell them another day".

"Come on CJ", Jonathan gets off of the bed. "We need to get going. I need to be at the Hub at ten".

I trudge out of bed and shut the door to the bathroom. I turn on the shower and steam up the bathroom mirror, brush my hair, then step into the tub. After taking my fifteen or so minute shower, I shut off the hot water, wrap my red towel around me, another towel in my hair.

After drying off, I open the bathroom door, and take a quick look around. Jonathan sits at the bar in the kitchen reading my morning newspaper, the Chicago Tribune. I quickly walk over to my 'room' and into the closet, shutting the door and turning on the lights. I get dressed in a simple sundress and a pair of black sandals.

I suddenly hear the shower turn on again in the bathroom. I finish on my hair in the bathroom, getting permission to be in the bathroom while Jonathan is in the shower. The shower shuts off, and I try my best to walk out of the bathroom before he gets out, but before I can, he grabs his towel on the rack from behind the shower curtain, and opens the curtain a second later.

Standing in the tub, with just a towel laying low on his hips, Jonathan steps out of the tub, and I find myself staring at his abs. I blush and look away. "You don't have to look away", I hear Jonathan say from right behind me, his breath heating my ear, sending a shiver down my spine. His body still wet from the shower. "This isn't the first time you've been caught staring. I don't blame you for it".

I blush again and rush away from him, out of the bathroom. I hear Jonathan chuckle from inside the bathroom. He walks out a moment later and into my closet, where he's kept some of his clothes for days like this. Jonathan walks out a moment later, I sit at the bar reading the newspaper he had finished. "You can look now", he smirks.

"Oh, shut up", I joke. Jonathan chuckles. I feel Jonathan's chin rest on top of my head, his hands rest on my hips.

"You're cute when you blush. And you know it. It just makes me crazy for you", his breath runs over my ear.

"I have to leave, my parents know I'll be there by ten. I have half an hour".

I drop down from the high bar chairs. Jonathan slips on his flip flops as I grab my purse. After sorting through my purse for my keys, I find them and we leave my apartment. Jonathan and I travel down the elevator and into the garage. We had parked next to each other last night. "I'll be back after I talk to Mom and Dad. Text me when the shoot is over".

"I will", Jonathan replies. "I love you".

"I love you, too", I kiss Jonathan on the lips and get into my car, starting the engine, and driving away as he gets into his own car.

Driving into the suburbs, it's my first time back to the house in just about a month. I park in the driveway, take a deep breath, and cut the engine. I walk up to the front door, and walk through the screen door, finding that it's actually warmer here than in the city.

"Mom. Dad", I yell through the house.

"In here, CJ", Mom calls from the kitchen.

My mother stands at the coffee pot, and my father sits at the table, reading a book and drinking a cup of orange juice. "Hi, Sweetie", Mom says.

"Hi guys", I say with a smile. "I came out here today to tell you guys something".

"Anything, CJ. What is it?"

"Well, please, don't be mad at me for not telling you sooner", I take a breath. "But, I have a boyfriend, and we've been together for about eight months.

"Honey, that's awesome. Why would we be mad at you for that? Is it someone we know?"

"You know him very well, actually", I trail off. My father immediately looks up at me, his face in a scowl. "I'm dating Jonathan".

"Oh, honey", Mom's face drops. She knows how bad that is.

My father slams the paper down on the table. "No. No. No, you're not. You know this is my one rule. I always knew something like this would have happened. I knew it was a mistake to let you know we had a job open for the team", my father all but yells.

"I waited for it to work for a while, so I could prove you wrong about this. If we hadn't worked out, it would have been a waste to tell you and for you to get mad, but we love each other, and we're working everything out".

"Get out", my father yells at me.

"Honey", my mother tries to stop Dad. She puts a hand on his shoulder.

"No, she lied to me, and she broke my only rule for my daughters love lives. She can leave, she broke the rule, my rule!"

"Fine, I'll go, but you can't stop me from being with Jonathan, like I know you want to. I'm twenty seven years old. This is my life, and all I wanted to do was tell you, after I knew that our relationship was more than a fling, or whatever you want to call it", I scream, crying.

I get up from the chair at the table and rush out of the house. "Joel", I hear my mother scold my father as the screen door slams behind me.

I knew this was going to be a bad idea.