Meet the Parents

"You're nervous", Jonathan states as we get off the plane in Winnipeg. With our hands clasped together, walking closely through the airport, I look up at Jonathan, who looks down at me. Jonathan squeezes my hand. "You have nothing to be nervous about".

"Jonathan, I've met your parents. But this time, I'm the girlfriend. I have a lot to be nervous about. I want them to like me, to think that I'm good for you", I respond.

Patrick and Kayla suddenly catch up to us from behind in the terminal, talking about something they want to do today. I turn back to Jonathan. "CJ, you are the best, and most put together girl I've brought home for my parents to meet. You have not a single thing to worry about".

We continue to walk through the airport towards where Jonathan was told to meet his parents. Jonathan is stopped by an old friend who had been passing by us. They knew each other when they were kids. After, we continue to walk through the large terminal.

"There they are", Jonathan says to me. I look where he is pointing and see his parents, whom I may have met once before, but it was almost ten year ago. I would have only been 17 or 18. They probably wouldn't remember me. 

Jonathan pulls me along as his parents spot us. They're leaning against the front lobby wall. "Oh, my baby boy", Mrs. Toews squeals out as she rushes over for him. Jonathan keeps hold of my hand at his side as he wraps his other arm around his mother, who's about the same height as I.

"How's it been, son?" Mr. Toews greets Jonathan.

Mrs. Toews looks over at me, and gives me a huge smile. "You must be Cynthia, Quenneville's daughter", she says to me.

"It's just CJ", I tell her. "It's so nice to meet you. Jonathan can't stop telling me about you and Mr. Toews".

"Oh, CJ, please just call us Mom and Dad", she takes me in a hug. "I'm so glad to meet you".

Mr. Toews greets me, and then Kayla and Patrick come up to us. The Toews' parents greet Patrick in open arms, then introduce themselves to Kayla.

"Come on. Let's get home. you guys had an early morning", Mrs. Toews says to us. "Patrick and Kayla, are you staying at our house tonight? We have the room".

"No, Mama Toews, thank you. Kayla and I are staying at the team's hotel tonight. We're here with them as a cover up for CJ and Jonathan".

I look over at Patrick, who realizes what he just says, his smile disappears. "Cover up?" Mrs. Toews asks.

I nervously laugh, looking up at Jonathan. "So, my parents don't know that I'm dating Jonathan. My father doesn't want my sisters or I to date his hockey players, thinking it will cause drama. I've already told myself that I'll tell them at the end of the season".

"It's for the best, Mom. If something went wrong now, and Q knew, then he would take his wrath out on me, and that would hurt the team really badly, since I'm captain", Jonathan says before his mother can start on something else on the topic. "Let's just go home, Mom. Say goodbye to Kayla and Patrick".

We part ways with the couple. They go off and find their way to the team's hotel, and we go find Mr. and Mrs. Toews car in the airport's garage. Mrs. Toews makes Jonathan sit up front with his father, and she sits in back with me.

"So, CJ. Tell us a little bit about you? Where'd you grow up? How long have you and Jonathan known each other?"

"Well, with being a hockey players daughter, I moved whenever he did. I've lived in seven different places in my life. St. Louis, Washington DC, Connecticut, St. Johns, a short time in Denver, Colorado, North Dakota, while I went to college, and then in Chicago. Jonathan and I had gone to UND at the same time, but he left and was drafted to the Hawks before I ever got a chance to meet him. I've been at many events he's been to, but we never seemed to cross paths".

Mrs. Toews laughs a little. "That's quite interesting, your life seems to have been interesting. Have many siblings do you have?", she stops a second. "I'm sorry. I'm going to ask a lot of questions. Jonathan tells me near to nothing, other than your name and that you're an amazing woman".

I giggle slightly, then answer her. "Well, I have two sisters. I'm the oldest, at twenty-six, then my sister, Mia, who's twenty-three, and my youngest sister, Jada, who just turned twenty two days ago".

"Fascinating", Mrs. Toews replied. "How'd you get your job as head trainer? You seem so young".

"I guess it just happened. I didn't put my last name on my application, and they thought I was the best candidate. I'd ask my dad, but he would ask me why I'm asking him about it".

Mr. Toews continues to drive to their house and Mrs. Toews keeps asking me questions about my life, family, friends, jobs, school. I start to get annoyed with the relentless, nonstop talking, but I keep going.

"Mom", Jonathan says to his mother forcefully. "That's enough questions for now. Let her take a breath. Ask her more at dinner, if you must".

"Oh hush", Mrs. Toews says, using her hand motions, as if she was using a sock puppet. "I'm just trying to find out more about this lovely girl you brought home to us. If I don't ask the questions, David will. I'm preparing her".

I suddenly lean up and tap Jonathan on the shoulder. He leans back slightly to listen to my whispers. "You didn't say anything about your brother".

Jonathan laughs. "He'll be here for dinner tonight. He won't ask you anything. I talk to him more than I do my parents. He knows half of that stuff already, the other stuff he doesn't care to know. Don't worry".

This might just be a long dinner.