Breakfast

Parking in the garage closest to the restaurant, I fix everything I need to on my face and hair, then walk down the street, and into the fancy restaurant where we're having our breakfast meeting. 

Nico Osteria sits right across the street from Gibson's, and is one of the most expensive, most well known breakfast restaurants in the city. The cheapest thing I've seen on the menu was $15, and that was a side of something or other. 

"Hello", the hostess smiles at me as I walk in. I smile at her. "Is it just you today?"

"Oh, no", I say to her, she nods, barely. "I think we have a reservation for breakfast. It should either be under-" I'm cut off by the door opening behind me, and laughs fill the entryway. 

"Oh good, CJ, you're here", my father says. He grabs the side of my arms and plants a kiss on my cheek. Dad turns to the hostess with a smile on his face. I greet the other men, and I know I'll be the only woman here. "Reservations under Wirtz for twelve".

The hostess looks down, back into the restaurant seating area, then grabs a handful of menus and shows the start of our group to the table. The men behind me keep laughing about something, and I just follow the hostess, showing us to the biggest table in the middle of the room. 

"Here, CJ", our chairman, Rocky Wirtz, says to me. He pulls out a chair at the end of the table, next to his seat at the head of the table. I walk over and sit, thanking him, and smooth my skirt out as everybody else sits and adjust their suits. 

My father sits next to me. He squeezes my hand, knowing that as much as I have to be here because this is part of my job, I don't want to be here. 

"So, CJ", I hear from across the table. "You're young, you have friendships with our boys. Would you happen to know anything about Toew's date last night? We all saw him at Gibson's last night with a blonde beauty. She looked slightly like you, but so did Lindsey, so he has a type", our CEO, John McDonough, asks me.

I practically faint. Shit. I start to laugh lightly, nervously. "Oh no. I'm sorry, I don't. I wish he would have told me. She must be very lucky", I play it off, we start to laugh again. "I wasn't in Chicago last night. I was looking at apartments with my best friend". 

Breakfast continues on, and it takes everyone an hour just to put their drink orders in, which is pretty much just coffee and mimosas. I see a clock on the wall, and it's almost noon. We all talk about how our departments are doing. I share my work with the team and how we could possible change even more to our training plans, which I'm still working on. 

A phone starts to ring from somewhere around the table. I suddenly realize it's mine. I shuffle through my bag and find it all the way at the bottom. "Oh, goodness. I have to take this", I stand up from my chair C. Serious. "I'm sorry. I'll be right back".

I run out to the front of the restaurant, throw my coat around my shoulders, and walk onto the street sidewalks. "Hey", I smile as I talk. "Boy, do I have a story for you", I laugh nervously. 

"That sounds fascinating. How's breakfast going?"

"Oh geez. If I could leave, I would", I say. "But I guess they saw us last night at Gibson's". Jonathan gasps. "Oh, don't worry, they didn't know it was me. They said the girl you were with looked like me, but Lindsey did too, so that you have a type. They wanted to know if I knew who she was. I said no as I almost fainted, but I don't think they would have ever thought it was actually me. Although, Dad looked quite suspicious that I wasn't telling the truth".

Jonathan gives a nervous laugh. "I guess that's a good thing. I'm glad now that you had that disguise. Maybe the next time we go on a date, we will go somewhere where no one we know will ever be there". 

"Oh", I blush slightly. "You're saying there's going to be a next date?"

"Are you saying there won't be?" Jonathan asks with sarcasm. We both laugh slightly. "Anyway. I was wondering if you wanted to come up with the team and I, Kayla will be there too, this week to Shaw's cabin? It's going to be really warm this weekend, and we don't have practice or a game. We'd leave on Friday night and come back on Sunday morning. What do you say?"

"I would love to go. That would be nice. Do I have to book anything? A place to stay or anything like that?"

"No", Jonathan says. "We'd have to share a room, but I can sleep on the floor or whatever if you don't feel comfortable with anything like that. I just thought it would be fun to spend our only free weekend not here in the city. The team already knows about us anyway, we're not hiding anything from them".

"That sounds super fun. I would absolutely love to go", I say to him. " I unfortunately have to go now. But, I will text you after we're done here. Bye Jonathan".

"Bye CJ, talk to you later".

I walk back into the restaurant with a smile on my face, and my eyes gleaming.