Vineyard Vows

Today, August 13th, is my wedding day. I set the date back in March, booked everything, and my wedding was planned in close to three weeks. The cake matches my entire wedding perfectly, which I've decorated in light and dark pinks. I'm absolutely in love with the cake decorations. The pink flowers, the lace fondant. Jonathan pretty much let me do whatever I wanted for the wedding, and he's going along with it. Kayla, Chaunette, and both of my sisters, are my bridesmaids. The groomsmen are Patrick, Andrew, Corey, and David Toews.

Jonathan and I are getting married at Vineyard Gardens, just north of Chicago. It overlooks the lake perfectly, and I've loved the venue since Kayla and I were here for a party one of our friends threw when I moved back with my parents after college.

"Mom", I groan. "Aren't you done yet? I would like to get married at some point today".

"Oh, hush it", Mom snaps. Kayla and Chaunette laughs from the back of the room. Mom pushes another bobby pin into my hair. I watch her from the small mirror she's letting me look into.

"Okay, I'm done. Your hair looks perfect", Mom pats my shoulders, leaning over my shoulder to look at me.

"Mom, let's be honest. CJ will never look perfect", Jada says flatly from the couch in corner of my bridal suite.

I turn to her in my chair, leaning over the back. "I have no problem not letting you stand in my wedding. You begged me. I would shut your mouth right now, if I were you".

"Girls", Mom stops us. "Jada, Go check to see if your father and Jonathan are ready. CJ, no more saying anything to your sister, unless it's nice. I don't care if it's your wedding day or not".

Jada rushes out of the room with a smile on her face. I turn back to the mirror on the vanity, which is covered in a robe, so I can't see anything. "Can I stand in the mirror now? I'm done now".

"Yes, yes. Come on".

I stand from the fabric covered chair and go to the full length mirror next to the window overlooking the ceremony area, and the lake. I face Kayla, my mother, Mia, and Chaunette, waiting for them to see it first. Mom picks up the side train on my dress and helps me turn to the mirror.

"Oh my god", I gasp. "I love it. Everything".

"CJ, you look absolutely stunning", Kayla smiles happily. She jumps up from her chair, rushing over to me. She makes me giggle slightly. "Jonathan won't know what hit him".

"I sure hope so", I laugh.

Kayla starts to say something else, but Jada walks back through the door, and interrupts her. "The team wants to see you. Dad and Jonathan are ready, whenever you are".

"The guys can come in, and Dad can too".

Jada opens the door more behind her, and I watch through the mirror as the guys crowd into the room. I wait for the lest of them, take one last look at myself, then turn to them.

"Wow", I hear a few of them mumble.

"Do I look okay? Will Jonathan think I look okay?"

"CJ", Andrew starts, a smirk on his face. He's dressed in the tan suit and pink tie that match my bridesmaids. "You walk down that aisle in a trash bag, and Jonathan wouldn't care. You are beautiful, and you don't even have to hear it from us to know it".

"I don't think I'm ready for this".

"You're ready. You know you are", I hear a voice. But, it's not anybody in the room. I look to the door. It's Dad. "Jonathan is ready. He's about to go out to the alter, and he can't wait to marry you".

I turn to the window, where the lake's breeze comes in. I walk to it and bend down, placing my arms on the sill. Jonathan walks down the aisle slowly, greeting a lot of different people, my family, his family. His tan suit looks absolutely perfect.

"Go take your seats. I'm ready".

Everybody leaves and we walk down to the first floor, where the doors to the ceremony are. Andrew, Corey, Patrick, and David stand with Chaunette, Mia, Kayla, and Jada in a line in front of us. My mother walks out first, then Patrick and Kayla, Andrew and Chaunette, Corey and Jada, and finally David and Mia.

Dad and I stand alone. We stand just far enough away from the open door, that no one can see us behind the small trees that line the walkway to the green. "Don't let me fall, Dad", I whisper, letting him take the first step towards the door. I follow back with my own step.

"I never have".

Dad and I walk to the doorway, and the sun hits my feet first, through my long dress. My hands shake, holding my pink roses, my right arm linked with my dad's right. We walk off the pathway, and onto the green. The attendees stand as we continue to walk, and I watch Jonathan. He stands still, his hands held in front of him. He stares back at me. His eyes are glassy with tears, which makes me tears up.

Dad leaves me a few feet away from Jonathan. He kisses my cheek, and then goes to stand next to Mom. I hand my bouquet to Kayla, who stands next to the alter. I walk the few steps to stand next to Jonathan and the Justice of the Peace.

The Justice of the Peace starts to talk to us about marriage, and the meaning of it. We stand, facing him, listening closely to his words.

"Turn to each other, link hands", the Justice says. We turn and wait for his next words. "CJ, repeat after me".

"I, Cynthia Jane Quenneville.....Take you, Jonathan Bryan Toews.....To be my lawful wedded husband.....To have, to hold from this day forward.....For better, for worse.....For richer, for poorer.....In sickness and health.....Until death do us part".

"Jonathan, repeat after me".

"I, Jonathan Bryan Toews.....Take you Cynthia Jane Quenneville.....To be my lawful wedded wife.....To have, to hold from this day forward.....For better, for worse.....For richer, for poorer.....In sickness and health.....Until death do us part".

Jonathan and I exchange rings, both of us are shaking. We both say the words, "With this ring, I thee wed".

"Do you, Jonathan, take Cynthia Jane to be your partner, through thick and thin?"

Jonathan whispers, "I do".

"Do you, Cynthia Jane, take Jonathan to be your partner, through thick and thin?"

"I do". I take a shaky breath, looking up at Jonathan. He studies my face with content.

"It is with my honor to pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Toews. Jonathan, you may kiss your bride".