Stay Out

I head to the UC before my father, knowing I have a lot of work to do before and after our skate, before the game. I dread leaving my house, knowing that Brad is somewhere in the stadium, but this is my job, I can't just not go. Could I?

I open my training room and start my computer, when I hear voices in the hallway. A group of the team walks into my room and look around. It's Patrick, Jonathan, Andrew, Trevor, Artemi, and Marian.

"I've never seen this room so clean", Trevor Van Riemsdyk mumbles. A small laugh escapes me, and the others in the group chuckle.

"What are you guys doing here so early?" I ask them.

"Thought we would get an earlier start on the day. Caps are off the ice in an hour. Get our stuff ready for the game instead of doing it after our skate. What are you doing so early?" Andrew asks.

"I need to do my usual paperwork for the game and I thought the same thing as you. Get it done and out of the way", I respond, sitting down at my desk, moving papers on my desk from one place to another.

"Need any help? Tazer could do it. " Artemi jokes, his broken English very subtle in his words.

The guys all crowd into my office, leaning against the window in front of my desk. We start to talk as I finish my paperwork for the day, just as the clock says that it's 11 o'clock. I close up my office when my staff gets here and the guys help us collect everything we need for the skate. With the guys, it only takes one trip to get the materials ready and set them on the bench. The Capitals are on the ice, and I do my best not to look anywhere near close to the ice.

Jonathan somehow notices me trying not to look at the ice, and whispers to me. "Is everything okay? You never pass up an opportunity to watch plays made by the other team", he jokes.

I pass a fake laugh. "I know. Everything is fine". I take a deep breath. "Come on. You guys have things to do".

I grab my clipboard outside of my office on the way to the locker room with the guys. I sit at an empty locker of a player who isn't here yet, Brian Bickell's, and I tell the six of them what they need to do today in the skate. Four of them need to work on their speed, as usual, and the other two need to work on slap shots, which even then they don't need very much of.

The players taper into the locker room and I tell them what is going to happen today. I leave the locker room and assess everything with my staff on what they're going to be doing today and how each of the players needs to be handled. They agree on everything I say and we start to tie up they're skates when I hear yelling from somewhere a few hallways away.

I walk slowly over the rugs on the floor, covering the cement, and walk through the empty hallways towards the argument. I turn a corner, and it's my father yelling at Barry Trotz and one of his players. The player is on the far side of Mr. Trotz, so I can't see who it is, but they're in their hockey gear.

"You stay far away from my team off the ice, and my staff. No way in hell you're going near her", I hear my father yell, he points at the player.

I rush up and stop my father from saying something else that could cost him his job. I put my hand on his shoulder, and he slightly jumps, not knowing that I was running down the hallway.

"Dad", I say to him, then I look over at Mr. Trotz and the player. I study the player for a moment, his face mask reflecting the fluorescent lights on the ceiling. Brad. "Dad, come on. Let's not disturb them. I'm so sorry Mr. Trotz, Mr. Malone", I try to say before I want to cry.

I pull on Dad's sleeve and after a second of resistance, he follows me. I drag him down and as far away as I can from where the Cap's locker room is. I walk him into his office and drag him to his leather chair. I let him go and he sits down.

"What was that?" I ask him. He shrugs lightly. "That could cost you your job if Trotz has a good enough reason to go the Bettman about that. You-".

"Honey", Dad stops me. I close my mouth slowly. "I just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to hurt you again. You two had a huge fight when you broke up and I wanted to make sure none of that resurfaced when he was here".

"Thank you for that, but this is my fight, and I was staying away from him at all costs while they were here, anyway. I don't want you getting into this, because it will cost you the best job you've ever had, and you know that".

"I'm sorry. You're right. I can't do that, and it was the heat of the moment. That conversation was never meant to be, it just happened", Dad says.

"Good", I take a breath. "I'm going out onto the ice. You should probably change, your punishment is being out on the ice playing forwards".

Dad hates not working with his defensemen, since he played defense when he was in the NHL back in the 80's. He rolls his eyes as I turn and walk out of his office, going out to the ice and helping my staff with all of the equipment and starting activities. I'm pushing the guys to do 50 laps today, instead of forty five, since we have a little bit more time today because the Caps left the ice half an hour early by choice.

Just have to stay away from the Caps. That's my one job. Shouldn't be too hard.