Times Square

July

*

"Come on, come on. Let's go, let's go", I pull on Jonathan's arm.

We're in New York City's JFK airport, ready for our four day vacation in the city. I've been here in the city plenty of times, but never for fun. It would always be arrive in the morning, practice during the day, game at night, leave the next morning. I've never walked down Broadway, or never had a picnic in Strawberry Fields in Central Park, or stood in the middle of Times Square at midnight and feel like it's the middle of the day because it's so bright. 

"CJ", Jonathan pulls back. "We have all day today, and the next three days before we have to leave. We have so much time. So, take a breath, and enjoy it just being us and the city".

We grab our bags and continue on through the airport. I take Jonathan through the metro subway system, since he doesn't know how it works, and we get on the train. After switching trains twice, we make it uptown to Lexington Ave.

The second we walk out of the subway station, it feels like a dream. I start at a run up the rest of the stairs, and stop at the top. I drop my suitcase at my feet and take a 360. Feeling Jonathan stand next to me, makes me hyper aware of everything around me. The sounds of cars and truck, people yelling for cabs, or business people yelling into cellphones. The odd smells, that you never really know what they are, but it reminds you of something. 

"You've never seen outside of Madison Square Garden, have you?" Jonathan asks me.

"Nope", I pop the P. I look back at him. "And being here with you, makes it just a little bit better".

Jonathan smiles. "Come on. Let's get our stuff to the hotel, we can start on your list of everything you want to do".

We walk down the busy streets of the city, and our hotel is right on the corner of Lexington and a small side street that I can't even remember the name of. After checking in, we go up to the room and set everything down. I set out all of my plans on the room's desk in the far corner, across from the bed.

I open the map and show Jonathan everything I have. "So, I've pretty much mapped out everything I've wanted to do, and still want to do, since I was little and old enough to understand a map".

"Wow", Jonathan grazes his fingers over the paper map. "This is very thorough".

"Yep", I reply. I look at his eyes, that still scan over everything. I start to point all over the map, "Anyway. Our hotel is right here, and I feel like we need to go to grand Central, Times Square, and the Public Library, since they're all in walking distance of each other. We had decided on Bubba Gump's for lunch, so that's right in Times Square, and then we can shop or do whatever we want there. Toys R Us is right there, with the Ferris wheel inside, that everyone needs to experience at least once, which includes us. I want to go into Central Park's Strawberry fields, which is over here. I want to stop at this flower shop so I can buy a bouquet of daisies and place them at John Lennon's shrine, there in the park. We don't have to do that today, but I have to do that at some point. We'll also have to stop at Magnolia Bakery, which is on our route to Central Park, where we'll need to get a cupcake of some sort. I think that should be enough for at least today. Oh, and there's also the Broadway show, and we can figure out which one we want to see, if we want to see one".

"That was a lot", Jonathan chuckles. "How about, for now, we change out of the clothes that smell like airplane and the subway, and go out to Grand Central and Times Square, and maybe the public library if we happen upon it. Take the map with us, and we can figure out what we want to do after lunch". He places a kiss on my lips and walks over to his suitcase, I smile.

I go through my suitcase and find a floral patterned baby blue dress with lace covering the upper chest and shoulders. I pair it with my cream colored chucks. Jonathan puts on a pair of khaki shorts, a black t-shirt, and his black sneakers. I tie my hair into a high ponytail, and we each pick up our pair of sunglasses.

We leave the room, then the hotel, walking out to the streets of New York City once again. I take pictures of the buildings around me, and people around us must know that we're tourists, we look stupid stopping every block or so to take another few pictures. Jonathan and I find Grand Central station about ten blocks down, and it's just a bit better than I had expected it to be from the outside.

"This is amazing", I whisper, standing in the middle  of the main terminal. I watch the staircase in front of me, where all sorts of different people walk by.

"Come on. We have to make the video", Jonathan says to me, placing a kiss on my head.

I almost forgot about the video diary. Each player on the team is supposed to create at least five videos of what they did during the summer, to show the fans that they don't just play hockey. We gave them each a video camera that's easy to take around. We figured just to do it here in New York City, and we don't have to worry about it the rest of the summer.

I take the camera out of my purse and turn it on, hold it out in front of us, and point it towards our faces. I hit record and Jonathan starts talking. "Hey Hawks Fans, it's your captain, Jonathan Toews, with our wonderful head trainer, and my girlfriend, CJ Quenneville. It's our first video log of the summer, and right now, we're in New York City".

I start to talk to the camera I hold out, panning the frame around the terminal. "So, we're in Grand Central at the moment. It's both of our first times exploring the city, so stay tuned for what comes next. Hopefully Times Square, or Central park".

I scan the camera around the bustling terminal, landing on the famous clock in the middle, then to the ceiling and it's amazing painting. 

"Both of us love you, as our fans, so much. Bye guys", Jonathan finishes, and I hit the record button again to end it.

"Come on", Jonathan grabs my hand. "Let's go find Times Square".

"Let's go".