Savior

Caution, graphic or hard to read parts. Skip over the dream if you feel uncomfortable.

Abuse, alcoholism, etc

*

After getting back from Atlanta, the Bears winning the Super Bowl, and Jonathan telling me he loved me, I'm the happiest woman ever. That night, being all spread through out the hotel, Patrick went into my room with Kayla, and I went up to Jonathan's room. We didn't do anything like that, but we were happy to be together after such a thing, or things, had happened that night.

Now, we're in full gear for March and April games to get us into the playoffs. We're still top seed, but anything could change at the moment. Losing one game could send us into the top ten, and lessen our chances of getting to the Cup playoffs. We have to win the next two games to clinch our spot officially, which should be easy.

Tomorrow, Jonathan, Patrick, Kayla, and I leave for Winnipeg, a day before the rest of the team. We don't have practice or a game, so Jonathan wanted to bring me up to meet his family. His family knows about us, and so do all of our other friends. The only people who don't know are my parents. My mom is clueless, and my Dad just thinks our same age helps in being friends, just like Patrick and I.

Tonight, with our flight leaving at eight in the morning, I'm staying over at Jonathan's house, again. Kayla is at Patrick's for the night, and they're just going with us so they can have a night vacation, and so it doesn't look like I'm going to meet Jonathan's parents.

After our takeout pizza dinner and watching another old movie, Top Gun, we decide to go to bed since we have an early morning. I use the bathroom quickly in Jonathan's room, putting on shorts and a sports bra, brushing my teeth, and brushing through my hair one last time.

I go out into his room, just as he takes off his shirt next to his closet and turns to me. "You done?" he asks quietly. I nod. He walks into the bathroom and I climb into my side of the bed. My phone is plugged in, and I adjust my pillows under my head. Jonathan comes out a moment later.

Jonathan climbs to his side of the bed, and I turn to face him. Our faces are a few inches away from each other. We stare silently. Jonathan's hand slides up the side of my leg, up my body, and lays on my cheek. "I love you, CJ".

I smile lightly. "I love you, Jonathan".

Jonathan turns over and shuts off his bedside lamp, leaving us in complete darkness. I listen to the soft sounds of the city streets just a block or so away. I soon hear the deep, gently sound of Jonathan's deep snore. I let sleep take over quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~

I wait on the couch for Brad to come home. University of North Dakota men's hockey team just won the NCAA hockey championship, but that was two nights ago. He didn't show up home yesterday morning. He called me this morning to tell me he would be home before I went to bed, that he was super busy celebrating with his team. Some NHL team, which he won't tell me which one, has been looking to sign him, but he needs his act together before that can happen. 

I jump as the front door to the apartment jiggles, then swings open. Walking through the door, is a stumbling, drunk Brad. I stand up from the couch, and look at the clock. 12:30. "Hi, Brad", I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Hey, Baby Girl", Brad slurs. "I won, you know, the NCAA. How about we go to the bedroom and I'll show you how good I feel right now?"

I shift my weight from one leg to the other uncomfortably. "No", I say flatly. "You're drunk. You know the rules".

"What did you just say to me?" Brad takes one step closer to me. I take an equal step back, my ankles hitting the bottom of the couch.

"I said no. You know that when you're drunk, no matter what, we don't have sex. That's my one rule. You're sleeping on the couch tonight, like always when you're drunk".

"You stupid bitch", Brad sneers. I try to stand my ground. "You're mine. You do what I want you to".

Before I can say anything else, Brad steps over to me and grabs me by my hair. I scream out in pain and he drags me away from where I stand. He pushes me to our bed, pinning me down. I scream out, hoping a neighbor would hear the blood curdling screams for help. "Brad get off of me", I yell out.

I struggle out of his grip, but he grabs both of my wrists above my head. Brad starts to kiss my cheeks, sending sloppy, drunk kisses over my face. "Brad!"

"Shut up, you bitch", Brad leans over me. He takes one hand and slaps me across the face. I screech out in pain, but Brad's hand covers my mouth. "I don't want another word against me out of your mouth. You're a bitch".

I try to scream out again, going against his wishes, but before I can, he punches me across the face.

I black out

~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up screaming at the top of my lungs. I can't hear anything around me, or see anything either.

"CJ", I hear called to me, frantically. "CJ. Hey, can you hear me?"

My vision suddenly clears, and my screaming stops. I look around quickly, and jump in my own skin when I see Jonathan hovering over me from his side of the bed. "CJ?" Jonathan asks again. "Are you okay? Talk to me, My Girl, what's wrong?"

I don't say anything, too afraid to speak. I sit up slowly, wrapping my legs to my chest with my arms. Jonathan sits in front of me, his hand resting on the top of my foot, the pad of his thumb rubbing gently over my skin. I stare at him, then when my eyes get teary again, I look down at the light colored bed sheets below me.

"CJ? Tell me what happened", Jonathan says in a hushed tone. "Please, Baby. Tell me. I beg you".

"Br-brad". It's the only thing I can say.

"Was it another memory?" he asks. I can tell he doesn't really know what to do if I say yes.

I can't say anything else. I suddenly move myself onto Jonathan's lap. I wrap my arms around his neck, my legs around his waist. Burying my face into his shoulder, I cry more.

Jonathan doesn't know what to do for a moment, but then his arms wrap around me, tight. "Shhh. Shhh", he coos. "CJ. You're safe. I won't let anything happen to you".

"Promise?" I whisper.

"I promise".