Exception

"Please CJ. I have to explain this to you. I just have to. It wasn't what it looked like, I swear". 

"You're not explaining this to me right now, we're in the middle of the locker room".

"Fine. But I'm making you talk about this tonight, when we get back to the hotel. Please, CJ, we have to talk about this".

"Whatever". I push Jonathan away from me, readjust my sweatshirt, then walk out to the bus. I sit down next to Arron, my assistant, and wait for everyone else.

After waiting ten minutes for everyone to get on the bus, then the fifteen minute ride back to the hotel, I grab my bag from my feet, sling it over my shoulder, and walk down the bus aisle.

I ride the elevator to the staff floor with my assistant trainers, and Jonathan sneaks into the cramped space before the doors close. I roll my eyes, crossing my arms across my chest. Jonathan moves positions with everyone else in the space to get back to me, in the far corner.

"Louis, could you hit my floor, we have to get off there", Jonathan asks, nodding to my assistant trainer. I hear the button click, and Jonathan turns back to me. "You have to let me explain. I feel horrible about this".

"I said okay, didn't I?" I retort. Jonathan stands back, astonished at the snap in my voice. "You have to explain whatever the hell happened last night outside of the restaurant, then I'll think about whatever it is you have to say".

"You have to forgive me. Last night isn't what it looked like, I promise you that".

The elevator bell dings and Jonathan and I maneuver ourselves out of the crowd in the elevator. I follow Jonathan, reluctantly, to our hotel room. He takes out his key card and opens the door. I walk in after him and look around the room. Patrick's stuff lays on the floor next to the bed, and Jonathan's stuff is neatly placed on the room's table in the far corner where it had been last night, before we left for dinner.

"Did you know it was her?" I ask quietly as the door shuts with a clash behind me. "When you went out there. You know, if you didn't mean to kiss her".

"CJ. I knew it was her. And, I didn't kiss her, she kissed me", Jonathan starts. "The text message came over my phone saying that she saw me walk into that restaurant with you, Kayla, and Patrick. I left the table because, knowing her, she would have walked in and caused a huge, awful scene. I didn't want to worry you, so I just said I had to take the call, to get her away from there, away from you".

"Then, why were you out there for so long?" I snap, not fully believing him.

"She kept yelling at me for things I had quote unquote done in our relationship, then when I made the huge mistake of telling her that we've been together for a year, and she started freaking out on me. I hadn't realized how long she had actually been yelling at me".

"I still don't understand why, one, you didn't just tell me that you were going to get rid of her, and two, why she kissed you. If she knew you were dating someone, aka me, then why would she do that".

"You know the stories of Lindsey, she's a total lying bitch. Right before she kissed me, she had seen you behind me, then said 'looks like your girlfriend has something to fight over now'". Jonathan pleads. "She knew you were watching us. She knew that this was how she wanted me back, to see if she could kiss me and spark whatever we had again. I didn't want to kiss her, I swear to you, CJ".

Tears form in my eyes. My voice cracks when I start to speak. "You held that kiss for so long", I say, "I've told you so much about my life. So much, some things that not even Kayla knows. Then, you go and break my heart by kissing another girl. Someone who broke your heart a long time ago. You wanted that kiss".

"I wanted that kiss to be with you. I've never been in love with Lindsey, and I never will be"

I sit down on the bed, and a second later, Jonathan is squatting down in front of me. I look down at my lap, not letting him see the tears fall down my face, even though he always knows that they're there. "CJ, we sit like this every time you're upset. Look at me, Baby, please".

I look up slightly, our eyes just barely meet. "I have never wanted to be with someone as much as I want to be with you. Nothing or no one will ever tear us apart. The only way I would ever leave you, is if it made you happy that I left, and I would never want you to be happy for that".

"You broke my heart when you kissed her".

"I know, Baby, I know. But, believe me, you will never be hurt by me intentionally. I wish I could take away last night, and start all over again. Please believe me baby. Forgive me, I have broken what is mine. I have broken my Love's heart".

I laugh a little, when he quotes one of my favorite books. I wipe a tear form one side of my face, and about to wipe the other eye, when Jonathan's thumb rubs over my cheek, wiping under my eye.

"I'm sorry, Jonathan".

"Baby, you have nothing to apologize for. I was the one who broke your heart. I should be the one who is apologizing to you. Do you forgive me?"

I lean down, take Jonathan's chin my small hand, and glide my lips over his. He tried not to give in, trying to be slow, but fails.

"Is that a yes?" Jonathan smirks as I lean back.

"That's a yes".