Just Keep Swimming

Today's the swimming day for team and their wives, at our house, in the indoor pool. I've been helping my sisters and Mom for the day for the past week. Making sure we have the grocery list together, the towels stocked in the pool closet, everything. Dad thought it would help the bonding between the players families. I don't think so, we already spend enough time with the families, I'm starting to get sick of them.

All of the players and their families will be here soon, so I take my shower and pick out my bikini, slipping on a tank top and leggings over it. I put my hair into a messy bun and go downstairs when I hear the first of the players to show up for the swim. Scott Darling is all alone, having been broke up with just before the season started a few months ago. A lot of the younger guys don't have girlfriends or wives, so they came alone. Patrick is coming with Kayla. Andrew Shaw is coming with Chaunette, who just got engaged.

"Hey", Patrick calls to me as I walk down the stairs. Kayla runs over to me and envelops me in a hug, then I get a hug from Patrick.

"Good morning", I say to the two of them. I turn to Patrick. "Heard anything from Jonathan?"

"Not since before he got on the plane in Winnipeg last night. He should be here within the next minute or so", Pat says to me. "He probably just had a really long night. The flights from Winnipeg are usually pretty windy".

Patrick is dragged by Kayla through to the back of the house and into our pool room. I laugh as the last of the cars pull into the tight spots in our driveway. The last car is Jonathan. It's his dark grey BMW. He gets out of the car and slings something over his shoulder. He smiles at me when he sees me in the doorway of the house.

"Hey", Jonathan says as he reaches the door. "I'm not late, am I?"

"No, Pat just showed up. You need to change?" I motion to his swim shorts hanging on his shoulder. He nods. "You can quickly go into my room upstairs if you want. Make it quick though. And leave your stuff up there, you can change back later".

Jonathan thanks me and rushes up the stairs, down the hallway, and into my room, closing the door quietly. I walk through the house, going into the pool room. A lot of the guys are already in our pool, while the wives are sitting on the side, hanging their legs in. Kayla is already in with Patrick, and the bikini she's wearing might have been one she had borrowed from me a while ago. She motions for me to come in, so I walk over to where her clothes are. I take off my leggings first, exposing my red bikini bottoms, with the Blackhawks logo over my right hip, then my tank top, showing my dark grey bikini top.

Wolf whistles come from a few of the guys, and Kayla who looked over at me. "Clean up", my father yells at the two guys. It means that they have to clean everything up next practice instead of our equipment managers, other wise known as most of my staff and the equipment staff. The guys groan and turn back to me. I just laugh at them. 

I slide into the end of the pool and lower myself slowly into the heated water as Jonathan walks into the room. I watch him look around. No shirt, dark grey swim shorts. Hot, I think to myself. Wait, what?

I shake my head and turn to Kayla and Patrick. They're about to kiss, which won't be the first time. I find it the perfect opportunity to splash them. I put my hands over the surface of the water and tread the water towards them. A wave comes up and hits Kayla's back. She squeals as the water splashes over her head. 

I start laughing as Kayla turns to me and steps through the shallow water to me. I start to back through the water as she lunges at me. I jump back with tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. She grabs my foot and pulls me towards her. Patrick is laughing too hard, and everyone is watching us. 

Kayla pulls me under the deepening water under us. I hold my breath and try to fight with her. I push her away long enough to come up for a breath of air. She tries to push me again, but is laughing too hard to find the strength. I wipe the water from my face, and Kayla does the same. "I told you", I say to her, still laughing extremely hard. "No kissing players in the pool. Hockey or not". 

Kayla pushes me back into the water, and I float for a moment while she goes back over to Patrick, standing close to him at the edge of the pool. Jonathan slides in at the corner of the pool a few feet away from Patrick and Kayla. 

I swim over to him and we start to talk. We started talking about our college times at University of North Dakota. I was barely finishing high school when he was drafted to the Hawks. I had graduated from there with a major in sports medicine, and a minor in Biology. Jonathan starts to ask me if I knew any of the other NHL players that were there the same time I was. I knew one, especially well.

The one topic I've been dreading.

Him