Apologies

Together, Jonathan and I walk into the back entrance of the UC for practice before we have to leave for Arizona. It's the first day that we're both at the UC after our engagement and buying the ring. We haven't really told anybody, except Kayla, Patrick, Andrew and Chaunette, and my sisters, who promised not to tell Dad.

I grab a few things from my office, close the door again, then we head to the locker room. Jonathan starts around the room as people greet the both of us. Patrick sits at his locker, strapping on his elbow guards, when he sees me, looks down at my finger, then winks at me. I smile at him, and he gives a small chuckle.

The rest of the team enters the room, and I start going over training skills for today. My hand is shoved into my pocket, as habit, as I go over everything.

I take my hand out of my pocket to turn the page on my clipboard. From across the room, TVR shouts. "You popped the question, Tazer. Holy shit".

As he says it, my father walks in and stands beside me. I look over at him, and he looks at me. We make eye contact, and I actually feel like I want to faint. He looks down at my hand, and the ring that is on my ring finger.

I start to say something to him, but he walks out of the room before I can. I turn to Trevor. "When I get my hands on you, I am going to strangle you".

I rush out of the locker room, shoving my trainer's clipboard to Arron Louis's chest. I stop at the end of the hall and look around, to see any sign of my father, then figure he went to his office.

I run down the hallway and rush through his office door, knowing he wouldn't answer if I knocked. My father sits in his office chair, staring up at the ceiling. "Dad", I sigh.

"Are you happy?"

"What?"

"Are you happy with Jonathan? Is he good to you?"

"Dad, I am so happy. He is the best man I have ever met".

"When did he propose? Was it what you had hoped for, like when you were little, and the stories you would tell me?"

"He asked two days ago, at my apartment. It was the best moment of my life. I'm sorry for not saying anything to you about it before now. I didn't know how you would have taken it after what happened when I told you I was dating him".

"Cynthia, you have nothing to apologize for. I want to apologize to you. For how I acted when you did tell me. I had had a suspicion when you two were spending all that time together, and I saw you in that restaurant with him last year. I get that you didn't want to tell me, because I blew up at you".

"I get it, Dad. I broke your one rule for us girls. I hated how we ended that conversation back in June. And I'm still so sorry that I broke that rule, but I couldn't be happier right now".

"I don't care about the rules anymore. You're a grown woman with an amazing job, your own house, and three different degrees. If you think you made the right decision, and I know you did, then I shouldn't have gotten mad. You and Jonathan are an amazing companionship, and you shouldn't have let me get in the way. I'm glad you two are together".

My father gets up from his chair, walks around the edge of his desk, and stops in front of me. He wraps his arms around me in a Dad hug. I wrap my arms around him in return. I lay my head against his shoulder, and he places a kiss on the side of my head, above my ear.

"I love you, Dad".

"I love you too, CJ. I'm so proud of you. You turned out pretty darn great for a kid of mine".

"Come on. We have to get back to the team. This was a personal matter".

Dad and I walk out of his office and down the hallways to the locker room. We each have a smile on our face, and the team perks up at us. "No more choosing sides", Patrick chirps. We all laugh.

"Okay, boys. Get on the ice. We have lots of work to do today before the flight. Let's go".

I wait for the majority of the team to walk out of the room, and tie my skates onto my feet. Jonathan sits down next to me for a moment, holding his hockey stick out in front of him. "So. You made up with Q. Congrats", he laughs.

"It feels great", I take a sigh of relief. "I don't have to worry about anything anymore".

"Come on, Baby", Jonathan stands from beside me, grabbing my hand. "You are the trainer for this hellish team. You might as well train us".

"Let's do this".

Jonathan follows me out onto the ice and Dad and I start separating everybody onto different skills they have to work on for the day. I help out the goalies, shooting the puck towards them from different parts of the ice. Scott is still better at stopping five-holes, whereas Corey is better at the crossbar and top shelf shots. 

Practice is done a few hours later, and we only have about four hours until the plane takes off at the airport. Jonathan and I head to my apartment to get our suitcases, and so Jonathan can take a shower and change into his suit. I change into a pair of black skinny jeans and a Blackhawks t-shirt, then my trainer's windbreaker over it. 

Away to Arizona we go.