Do Not Disturb

"Baby Q!" I awaken to yelling downstairs. This is why I really need to move out of my parent's house. This is the first time the team has come for breakfast since I became their head trainer. Sunday is my one day off during the week before the season starts, so it's my one day to sleep in this past week. 

I roll over under my covers and peek one eye out at my clock. 9:30. I throw the covers off, and the cold air hits me like a brick wall. After taking a quick shower, I go into my closet and pull out my custom made Blackhawks Trainer sweatshirt, with my last name and my lucky number 70. On the shoulder, where a C for captain or an A for alternative would be, mine has a AT, for Athletic Trainer. The sweatshirt is two sizes too big, but I like it like that. I throw on a pair of grey leggings and head downstairs, where the team has been chanting "Baby Q" for the past ten minutes.

Walking into the kitchen, everyone looks at me and goes silent. I smile at them as I go over to my father, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek, then I move over to my mother and youngest sister, Jada. Mom is making the pancakes on the griddle, in which we already have a stack of them on a large plate, and my sister is making the bacon and sausage gravy on the other side of the stove. I start taking out the plates and cups for everyone as my father starts to rile up the team.

Jada and I whisper a few things to each other before I feel arms snake around my waist. I'm lifted off of my feet and carried who knows where. I squeal as they throw me over their shoulder. They're wearing a sweatshirt with their name. The number, 88. "Kane", I slap his back. "Put me down! Right! Now!"

He walks somewhere through my house. He opens a door, and soon he yells out to the team behind him. "If you say so". My nose is bombarded by the smell of chlorine.

"Do not throw me into the..."

He takes me off of his shoulder and throws me in front of him. "Pool!" I yell as my back hits the water.

I come up for air, and spit water out of my mouth. I turn around to see the team laughing hysterically at me. In front of them is Kane, laughing the hardest. "Patrick Timothy Kane. I. Will. End. You".

"Oh, did you hear that Kane?", Toews hits Kane's shoulder from behind. "She's going to end you", he mocks. I couldn't help but laugh.

The team is still laughing so I get my chance to climb out of the pool. I see Dad trying not to laugh from the doorway, and Mom and Jada are standing in front of him, trying to stop laughing. Patrick is the closest to the edge of the pool. I go up behind him and push him as hard as I can. He trips into the pool and hits the water hard.

My clothes dripping, but I just watch him as he did the same to me. The team is laughing even more now. Patrick is splashing up at us, then stops because he's laughing too hard. I turn back to the team as their laughs die down again, I turn around to the team. I put my hands on my hips. "Who's next?" All of them take one step back.

Kane gets out of the pool. He walks over to me, then stops a few feet in front of me. A smile appears on his face. We open our arms to each other and have a nice, long hug. He plants a kiss on the top of my head before letting me go.

"Does this mean I can skip the joint and muscle test this week, since I can lift you over my shoulders?" Kane asks.

"Yeah", I say to him, he smiles. "No". He looks down at the ground.

"I'm hungry", Shaw interrupts. The team laughs at him.

The guys fight their way back into the kitchen. Patrick and I dry off with towels my mother handed us as we walked out. Patrick and I just keep laughing, and everyone has conversations of their own. I help Mom and Jada serve everyone at the giant table my father insisted on buying for his team when he became coach. It sits forty people. This table is absolutely huge.

Breakfast is over, but no one leaves. We're all huddled around the table, everyone slumped over in their chairs from, one, being tired, and two, being very full. I sit at the one end with the players I know well. Kane, Shaw, Seabs, even Panarin sits down by us. I've never really talked to him, but he only talks to the people who really understand him, since he speaks broken English. It was more of his choice when he got on to the team on who he would be friends with. We all like him, he's super funny when you really get to see his other, humorous side.

The last person to join into our little group is Jonathan. I'm in between him and Kane. As I watch around the group, I feel Jonathan's eyes on me. He stares at me, looks away for a moment, then looks back. His eyes linger on my face, watching everything I do carefully. 

Does he like me? He's going to have a hard time with that one.