The Lecture

Patrick and I follow Q to his office. He isn't happy. Patrick grabs my hand and gives it a squeeze before letting go again. I give him a smile, mouthing the words I'm sorry. He shakes his head as if to say it's okay. We sit in the two chairs in front of his desk. Dad sits back in his chair and rubs the bridge of his nose. Patrick and I take a glance at each other before we watch my father again.

"How long have you known each other?" My father asks. Patrick and I look at each other, again confused.

"A long time", I answer back.

"Then, what is my number one rule when you two are having fun?"

"We can't do it here", Patrick whispers. "Only on our free time, not at UC".

"That's right", he starts again. "And why are you two soaking wet? Can one of you explain it to me? CJ?"

"I was asked to head into the tub room because Pat wanted to talk to me. I went in and Pat dropped me into one of the tubs. I got caught up and I dumped more of it on him. We were drying off, and Brent and Andrew came up and dumped more water on us. That's when you walked in", I say quietly, not making eye contact with him.

"So it was Kane's fault?"

"No, Sir. I reacted inappropriately and the rest of it was my fault. I take full responsibility-".

Patrick stops me. "No, it was my fault, Q. I'm the one that got Arron to get her into the tub room, I'm the one who got Shawzy and Seabrook to dump more water over us. I should be the one to be punished. Bench me".

"No", I stop him. "I'm not letting you do that. I got out of hand and it is my fault. I'm not letting you get punished for this", before I can go on, my father stops me.

"Both of you, quiet", he starts. "Neither of you are going to get in trouble. I'm not benching you, I'm not punishing you. I just wanted to know the story and make sure you two know that it should never happen in this stadium again, or I will bench you, or I will punish you. And you both know I wouldn't want to do that. Now, get out", he smiles a little. 

Pat and I rush out of the room. He checks me lightly, sending me into the wall. I laugh and check him back. We both hear my father clear his throat from back down the hallway, and we walk peacefully the rest of the way back to my office.

I sit in my leather chair, and Patrick sits on the edge of my desk, facing me. I awaken my computer and finish the last of my work for the day as Patrick gets up and walks into the training room. I watch him through the windows, he grabs two towels from the towel rack. Patrick throws one to me as he walks back in. I put it over my hair and shoulders. He takes off his over shirt, leaving him in a white, plain t-shirt. He wipes off more water from his chest and back.

"Let's go out with the team. Have some fun", Patrick looks over at me. "I mean, it is Friday night, what are you doing? Going home with Daddy and making hockey plans for us", he mocks. I stick my tongue at him.

"No, I would be doing that by myself", I laugh. "Yeah, that sounds really fun. But can I go home to change first?"

"Uh, I think we both do", Patrick turns in his place, holding his hands out to his sides. "Lets go to the Pier. I'll invite the team, and you invite your hot little friend Kayla. Be there at four", he says to me, winks at me, then walks out of my office.

I pull out my phone and text Kayla. We're going out. Be at my house at 3:15. Hawks want us to go to the pier with them. Can't tell Q.

Even before I can put my phone down again, it rings. Can't wait. I'll be there ;)

I shut everything down in my office and close the door. I chose to drive today, instead of riding with Dad. He said he had a meeting with Mr. Bowman, general manager of the team. He told me I could stay, but now I'm glad I took my own car. I need to go take a shower to warm up, and I only have an hour until Kayla arrives at the house and we have to leave.

I get home, take a hot shower, put my long hair into a high ponytail, and dress appropriately for the weather. It's September, so I put on light colored, ripped-almost-everywhere, jeans. On top, a white tank top, a red and blue flannel shirt, and an olive green vest. To finish, I add my white, platform Converse.

Just as I finish tying my shoes, my bedroom door bursts open. I quickly look up to see my best friend in the whole entire world, Kayla, rush through the door. Her purse is slung over her shoulder. I study her outfit for a moment, then look down at my own. She does the same.

"This is why we're best friends", she laughs.

Her outfit is dark washed ripped jeans, a green and black flannel, a cream colored vest, and her black platform Converse.

"We are too much a like", I say to her. "But we have to go. We're meeting them at four".

I grab my purse and car keys, and Kayla and I walk into the garage and get into my car. We drive into the city. I park my car in the Navy Pier's huge parking lot in one of the very last rows.

Kayla and I walk, for what seems forever from the parking lot onto the boardwalk. We search for someone on the team, but I see no one. A moment later, we hear my nickname called from behind us. "Baby Q". We turn to see who it is, even though we already know.

Jonathan and Patrick.