Boomer

Two years and two months later

*

"I'll get her Baby. Stay in bed", Jonathan whispers to me as our first born daughter, Josephine, cries for the second time tonight. She's ten months old now, and still cries at least twice each night, usually around midnight, then again at three or four, usually for no reason, which is all the reason to cry for a baby. He kisses my cheek as I snuggle back into my pillow.

I feel the bed move on the other side of me, and Jonathan's feet patter out of the room, down the hall, and opening the door to Josie's room. Josie instantly stops crying when Jonathan picks her up. I listen to him whisper to her, making me laugh. "You have to stop waking Mama and Daddy up, Princess. I have a game to win for you today. I need my sleep. Mama is letting you sit in the front row with her, and you're going to be the cutest fan there, you hear me? No fan will ever be as adorable your Daddy's little princess".

I can tell Jonathan has to change her diaper, by the faint sounds I can hear from down the hall. "Now, now, Little Princess. A clean diaper, a fresh set of pajamas. What more could my Princess ever want to ask for?"

I hear Jonathan walk back into the room, but he's not alone. "Princess wants to sleep with us. I couldn't say no", Jonathan fake pouts. I laugh slightly, and turn over just in time to see him through the dark set her down next to me, then crawls under the covers with me. Josie looks up at me, her eyes even gleam in darkness. I rub her stomach lightly, and watch her doze back to sleep.

"Go back to sleep Baby. You need your rest", Jonathan whispers to me. I smile, slide my hand over his face gently, then curl back up and fall into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

We walk into the UC through the back door, and I follow Jonathan, who's carrying Josie, into the locker room. I've taken the this season's games off to be with Josie, while I still train the boys during practice.

Josie bounces around in Jonathan's arms, him smiling down at her. I have a surprise for our princess to wear for the game, but I can't take it out of my purse until we get to our seats.

"Princess Serious", I hear yelled from inside the locker room. I smile and take Josie from Jonathan's arms so he can start to change for the game. The others on the team crowd around me to say hi to the newest addition to the 'Hawks team. 

"There's my baby girl", I hear from behind me. Dad walks into locker room behind me, putting his arms out, grabbing for his granddaughter. I hand over my baby to him, and she starts to laugh as he places kisses all over her face. Josie squeals and laughs happily under her grandfathers kisses. 

The team gets ready for the game, but one person still isn't here, and I can't put my finger on who it is.  Corey? He's here. Artem? No, he's here too.

"I'm here, I'm here. I'm sorry. We had a slight family emergency", someone says from the locker room door, rushing in. "Kayla's family was having a melt down about the seating for our wedding".

That's right. Patrick.

Kayla walks up next to me, "Not true", she mutters, rolling her eyes as Patrick sits at his locker and starts to dress in his equipment. "Give me that baby", Kayla grabs Josie from my arms. 

I give over my child once again to someone else and wait for the team to be fully dressed for the game against the Maple Leafs.

"I'm going to find our seats. Section one-o-four".

"Can I have one last kiss from my princess?" Jonathan looks down at Josie, who is back in my arms. He gives me a slobbery kiss on her cheek, making her giggle. "How about one from my wife?"

I kiss Jonathan and I'm off to the main lobby to get my ticket from the front desk. I wait in line and get my tickets after ten or so minutes, all of which, Josie was squirming in my hands. I hold her up between my feet, her trying to move her little feet to walk, but she can't quite yet.

I bring Josie and myself down to our seats and sort through my purse to find Josie's jersey I got her. On the back is the number 19, and the name says Daddy. I didn't tell I asked about buying one of these for her, knowing he's secretly wanted her to have one since I told him I was pregnant with her, he just doesn't know I know that.

I pull the jersey onto a squirming Josie, and she finally settles down the second I put it on her. It matches the dark gray bow she has in her hair, and the black pants I put on her earlier when I dressed her for the day.

The team skates out onto the ice, and Jonathan looks around for a moment. I stand up from my seat and hold Josie on the boards, almost holding herself up, but not quite. Jonathan skates around with a puck when he sees me, or her. He skates over and is almost immediately taken over by joyous tears.

"Look Josie. It's Daddy", I whisper to her. She bounces in my hands, looking up at her proud father. He takes one of his gloves off and wipes at his eyes, blinking quickly a few times to rid his eyes of the tears. Josie makes grabby hands at him through the glass.

I turn her around quickly to show him the back of her little jersey, which makes him smile even more. He wipes at his eyes again, then puts his glove back on. Josie continues to look up at her father, wanting to touch him, and tries through the glass. She puts her hand flat on the glass, and Jonathan returns it with one of his fingers. I watch him as he studies our daughter.

My perfect little family.