Traitors Amongst Us

Will's POV

"Windu! What are you doing?" I questioned as I followed Windu throughout the Jedi Temple.

"Obi Wan told me a certain traitor was here in the Temple...and I think I know who it is." Windu growled just as we reached Ahsoka and her green skinned friend.

"Oh, hi, Master Windu." Ahsoka greeted cheerfully. Windu didn't reply, but instead grabbed her friend.

"You're coming with me, Barriss." He growled and dragged her off.

"Windu! Stop!" Ahsoka begged and chased him. I followed suit.

---

"Why are you here?" Windu demanded. He released his grip on Barriss who collapsed on the ground.

"Windu, stop! She means no harm! She saved my skin, along with Anakin's and Obi Wan's!" Ahsoka cried.

"Yes, but we don't know if we should trust her." Windu said.

"Please! I don't intend to harm the Jedi!" Barriss pleaded. Windu ignited his lightsaber and brandished it towards her.

"I'm gonna ask you again. Why are you here?"

"I came here because I heard Ahsoka was in danger. After I was expelled, I vowed never to set foot near the Jedi Temple as long as I live. But fate said otherwise."

"Nice try. You've come here to carry out the work of the Sith. You're the Sith's new apprentice!"

"No! No, I'm not!"

"Ventress' lightsabers were in your possession!"

"Not anymore! Sometime ago, while I was loitering around the slums of Coruscant, I got knocked out. When I woke up, the lightsabers were gone."

"Where are the lightsabers?" Windu pointed his lightsaber at Barriss, who cowered.

"I-I don't have t-them!" She squealed.

"You are a liar! And a traitor to the Jedi Order and the now-dead Republic!"

"What are you gonna do?!" I asked.

"Something that should've been done long ago." Windu raised his lightsaber and prepared to strike Barriss with it when a green lightsaber clashed with his purple one.

"Don't lay a finger on Barriss." Ahsoka growled.

"Well. She framed you for bombing the Temple. Why should I not execute her?" Windu said.

"You may not be able to sense it, but there's still good in her. I know."

"Your senses are clouded, Ahsoka. She cannot be trusted. She betrayed you and the Jedi Order!"

"Maybe she's seeking redemption or something."

"Then what about the person who stole Barriss' lightsabers?" I interjected.

"That might've been a smuggler." Windu guessed.

"Or maybe Ventress stole back her lightsabers?"

"Ventress died sometime ago."

"Or maybe Palpatine's new Sith apprentice took them?" I interfered.

"This is the slums of Coruscant we're talking about. Anything could happen." Windu countered as Clay burst in.

"Guys...you might wanna check this out." He said as he led us outside.

---

"Oh my gosh..." I gasped when we reached outside. Dean, one of the Naboo pilots, was tied to a pole with lots of people yelling in his face.

"What's going on?" I asked, but Ahsoka and Windu came to stand in front of Dean.

"A-Ahsoka! W-Windu! You c-c-c-ame!" Dean cried.

"What are you guys doing?!" Windu demanded.

"Death to Palpatine and those who wrongfully imprisoned us!" Athena McCalsey cried.

"Wait...Windu was the one who threw you guys in jail!" Ahsoka corrected.

"Well, he was doing Palpatine's bidding unknowingly!" Persephone Pajan shrieked, and the crowd yelled in agreement.

"He intended for this to happen?"

"Oh, yes! I myself have never shot children!" Athena yelled.

"Seems like someone was screwing around with our records!" A frail man shouted.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Then that was probably what that figure was doing in that security footage I showed you guys!" Clay exclaimed.

"Knew it!" Windu yelled.

"But why are you attacking Dean?" Ahsoka queried.

"He's an agent for Palpatine!" Persephone shouted.

"Really?" Windu looked from Dean to the crowd.

"No, no, Windu. They're lying." Dean shook his head. His face was cut and bruised all over. Suspicious, Windu walked over to Dean.

"You will tell me the whole truth." He said while waving his hand.

"I will tell you the whole truth." Dean said absentmindedly.

"Good. Tell us everything you know."

"I...was the one who screwed around with the records." Dean admitted.

"Aha! I knew it!" Athena snarled.

"What?!" Ahsoka, Clay, and I chorused.

"And I also helped with the assassinations of the four younglings in the crystal cave."

"No!" Ahsoka said in disbelief.

"It's all true. I was living a good life until one day, I lost a gambling bet to my friend. I foolishly betted everything I had---literally, everything---to my friend and was kicked out of my own house. So I was begging on the streets of Naboo when I saw an advertisement asking for more pilots. I immediately joined, hoping I would get good pay, but I didn't. That's where Palpatine came in. After dropping off some cargo on Coruscant, one day, I came to him for help. He said he would help provide for me, but only if I follow his every command. And so I have." Dean spilled the truth. The mob began to close in.

"Hey! Stop!" Windu screamed as he and Ahsoka tried desperately to get the mob to back up. Nothing worked. Soon, they were rudely thrown on the street.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, we're fine. We still need him, though. He's gotta tell us everything he knows about Palpatine." Windu answered. "That's one traitor down."

"You're saying there's more?"

"Probably. Palpatine's influence can be found anywhere now that he's in charge." Clay shrugged.

"Then, in that case, who led all the red Mandos last night?" Ahsoka asked.

---

Author's Note: Aha! So Dean happened to be conspiring with Palpatine all this time. Didn't see that coming, did you? Who do you think will become the new Sith apprentice?