Anakin's Choice

Will's POV

"M-Master...I-I have b-brought D-Dean's corpse." I heard Anakin's voice tremble.

"Good, Anakin." That was all Palpatine would say. I was hiding underneath the desk in the Chancellor's office. "Now, Anakin. My plan is almost complete. All I need to do is get rid of the Jedi and enemies, and the galaxy will truly be mine."

"T-That's...great." Anakin smiled awkwardly.

"Yes, yes. It is unfortunate that Dean had been killed by those foolish prisoners."

"What do you plan to do next, master?"

"I plan to send the police force to march on the Jedi Temple to execute the Jedi." Palpatine cackled. I gasped.

"What will I do, in the meantime?"

"You, Anakin, will help me with the execution of the Jedi." Palpatine instructed.

"Hold it right there, Palpatine!" I jumped out of my hiding spot and aimed my gun at Palpatine, who just laughed.

"Ah, William Neisee, the Muggle spy from Earth. Anakin's told me all about you." Palpatine smirked. I tossed my gun aside.

"I guess, if we wanna settle this, we gotta be fair."

"I'd be more than happy to." Palpatine dropped his lightsaber and tackled me like a football player.

Anakin's POV

"You guys!" I cried as I got out of the way, but it was no use. Will and Palpatine were fighting with their fists, eager to kill their opponent. Will rushed towards Palpatine and pushed him into the desk, which fell over on its side. Palpatine then wrestled Will to the ground and grabbed his neck. Will then wrapped his legs around Palpatine's neck, thrust him on the ground, and punched his face multiple times. Palpatine proceeded to kick Will in between the legs. Will winced in pain.

"How do you like that?" Palpatine sneered.

"Your Excellency, what are you doing?!" I cried.

"Getting rid of one of my enemies, of course."

"He's my friend! Don't hurt him!"

"Oh, Anakin. You must understand that those who oppose me must be obliterated, whether it's a Senator, civilian, a Jedi, or even your friend! And they must be eliminated mercilessly, as to demonstrate the power of my Empire!" Palpatine explained. I put a hand on my mouth and stared in horror as Will knocked down a statue with his foot. The statue then bumped into another statue, eventually causing a domino chain. Palpatine got out of the way just before a statue could crush his bones. Palpatine Force jumped over to where Will was and kicked him right in the face. Will stumbled, but kept on his feet.

"Is that all you got?" Will snarled.

"This will be your downfall, Will!" Palpatine replied back, using the Force to destroy the newly repaired window---again. Will charged towards Palpatine and pinned him down. The strength of the wind blowing outside pulled both fighters to the edge.

"Don't you see, Anakin? Palpatine's dangerous! Remember what I told you about my vision? If you keep conspiring with him, it'll eventually lead to your ultimate downfall!" Will cried over all the noise.

"Help me, Anakin, and I will help you save the ones you love!" Palpatine screamed. Instead of doing anything, I just stood there.

All this time, I've been helping Palpatine with his deeds, knowing they were morally wrong because I wanted the power to save those I loved from certain death. After each deed, instead of feeling more powerful somehow, I felt nothing, but Palpatine always assured me that I will obtain that power if I obey his every command. On the other hand, Will had always stuck by my side, no matter what. Sure, we weren't the best of friends when we first met, but after a while, we put our differences aside, became buddies, and have always been there for each other ever since. It would be stupid of me to let someone like that die.

Just then, I realized something. Palpatine had no intention of keeping his promises. It was all for his gain. What a greedy liar! At least Will is committed to his tasks.

"Anakin, do something!" Will shrieked.

"Help me!" Palpatine cried. "I can save the ones you love!"

"No." I said loud and clear.

"What?"

"I'm done." I pulled Will off of Palpatine's body and let him roll out of the window.

"You did it!" Will cried after a few minutes of silence. But something told me that Palpatine hadn't died. I could still sense his presence.

"Not yet." I muttered to myself.

"What are you talking about? Palpatine fell out the window and probably went splat!"

"I can still sense him. C'mon." I said as I exited the Chancellor's office. Sure, I had pulled myself away from the dark side before it was too late, but that won't stop Palpatine from destroying the Jedi. Heck, he'll probably come for my head. But that doesn't matter. All that mattered at the moment was that the Jedi were prepared for what's to come.

---

Author's Note: Hooray! Anakin doesn't turn! Now, he must deal with his former friend and mentor going against him. Are the Jedi prepared for what Palpatine has in store for them?