The Victims' Funeral

Padme's POV

"Ani..." I said as I found myself sleeping on a makeshift bed. My eyes were red and dry from crying all night. I heard footsteps.

"Hey, Padme." Obi Wan greeted.

"Hi." I barely whispered.

"You okay?"

"No."

"I understand. Anakin abruptly left when the galaxy needs him most."

"I know. It kinda sounded like he didn't want to see me again."

"Don't worry. He always comes around." Obi Wan let a sad smile crawl across his face.

"Maybe not this time." I couldn't bear to smile. With Anakin gone, there was no one who could stand up to Palpatine and his Empire. Maybe he was right...maybe there's no hope left. Maybe I should hide.

"C'mon. Yoda's holding a funeral for the victims of Order 66. I don't understand what the heck was behind all that." Obi Wan escorted me to the remains of the Jedi Temple.

Why would Anakin leave all of a sudden? He wasn't the type to run away. Normally, he would try everything he could in order to restore the Jedi Order to its former glory. Certainly, many things can be fixed. But according to Anakin, the Republic was broken beyond repair. I found myself starting to agree with him. Maybe the Republic is truly dead.

---

"Been killed, these victims have, by the wrath of Sidious and his Empire. Died in vain, they will not have, if stand up to Sidious, we do. Lost someone, we have, in this fight against the Sith, so if fight Sidious, we do, do it for them, we must." Yoda began as the survivors of Order 66 gathered around the bodies of the victims. Their bodies were covered with a tan blanket, and they were lying on some sort of bed. Normally, only Jedi, Republican Senators, and others attend these funerals, but since this was a devastating attack on the Temple, normal civilians have joined us to remember those who have died in the attack last night.

"A moment of silence, we ask of you, for the victims of Order 66." Yoda requested. Everyone bowed their heads for a moment. A sob broke out next to me.

"Master Plo..." Ahsoka sobbed. Her face was buried in her hands as she quietly sobbed. I pulled her into an embrace and rubbed her back.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Ahsoka." I whispered.

"Satine..." Obi Wan said with a grim look on his face. Satine was a former Duchess of Mandalore who was killed at the hands of Darth Maul. Obi Wan loved her dearly.

"Have you lost anyone in this fight against the Sith?" I asked Will.

"No. Anakin was one of the only friends I've ever had. Can't believe he left so suddenly." Will sighed.

"He's not dead, Will. He'll come around. He always does." I faked a smile.

"Had I not been in the Order, I would've married Satine." Obi Wan said after staying silent.

"I understand, Obi Wan. Sometimes, I wasn't even sure if you'd approve of my marriage to Anakin."

"I know Satine's been dead for a year, but it feels like it happened yesterday." Obi Wan sighed. Next to me, a few people collapsed on the floor.

"That bastard...Palpatine...I'll kill him someday." Mia muttered as she pushed and shoved her way through the crowd. I decided to go after her.

"Yeesh, have some manners!" A man grumbled.

"Mia! Where are you going?" I cried as I left the remains of the temple. Mia was ahead of me by a mile, and she showed no signs of slowing down. "Mia! What's your deal with Palpatine?" I managed to grab her by the arm.

"Let go of me!" Mia snapped as she tried to shove my hand away from her.

"Mia, you know it's dangerous out there! There might be a bounty on your head!"

"So what? Do I look like I give a shit?!"

"What do you even plan to do? What's your deal with Palpatine?"

"I hate that bastard! Okay?! Is that all?"

"Mia, relax."

"How can I relax when I've got business to take care of?"

"Mia, please..." I pleaded, but Mia wasn't listening. She bent down, picked up her lightsabers which had dropped while she was running, and attached them onto her belt. Then, she ran out into the streets and was gone.

My surroundings were beginning to reflect my newfound pessimism. The sky was covered in a thick blanket of clouds. I approached the steps of the Jedi Temple and just stood there, thinking. What if there really was no more hope for the galaxy? What if there was no one brave enough to stand up to Palpatine and his Empire? Maybe Anakin was right, after all. Maybe we're all meant to suffer under the wrath of the Empire. But some part of me is telling me to fight. But how can anyone fight if they're not willing to risk everything they've got?

The above song is Demons by Imagine Dragons. Like Breaking the Habit, this song also describes Anakin, more like in Revenge of the Sith (the movie, not this AU!). In the movie, Anakin gets visions of Padme dying in childbirth and seeks Palpatine's help. Through this, he gets power hungry and turns into a Sith. Right after killing Mace Windu, Anakin knows what he just did is wrong. And the rest is history...

Please give the above song a listen and tell me what you think, and may the Force be with you.