All is Lost

Anakin's POV

"General Skywalker! Are you alright?" My clone captain, Rex, asked.

"You better not try and kill me." I aimed my gun at Rex.

"Kill you? Never."

"Have you seen Ahsoka? And do you know why are the clones killing their generals?"

"It was probably a programmed order. Oh really, Ahsoka's here?"

"I order you to shut up and help me look for her. She's probably at the Jedi Temple."

"Yes." Rex said. Chaos was everywhere. Dead bodies were piled on top of each other, and the sounds of blaster fire exploded here and there.

"Windu!" I shouted as I saw Windu deflecting blaster fire with his lightsaber. Suddenly, Windu was hit with an array of blaster fire and collapsed to the ground.

"General Windu!" Rex cried.

"Windu!" I knelt by Windu's side as he began coughing.

"A-Anakin...t-take i-it. Use i-it to help y-you in your quest...t-to destroy t-the Sith..." He held out his lightsaber.

"Why?"

"J-Just...t-take it." Windu said before closing his eyes. The lightsaber rolled out of his hand as his energy faded into the hands of the Force.

"No!" I shrieked.

"Anakin, we have to go!" Rex shouted. I forced myself to leave Windu behind as he disappeared, leaving his clothes behind. Windu and I never got along, but some part of me died with him. He knew I was the supposed Chosen One, but he wasn't sure. Windu was the type of guy who would do anything to protect the Republic---even if it meant wrongfully imprisoning 'traitors'. He also knew that if I kept allying myself with Palpatine, I would turn into a Sith and eradicate the Jedi Order. And since he already had abolished the Republic, there would nothing to stop him. At least Windu cared.

As I headed to the Jedi Temple with Rex, I began to realize that the Order was gone. Buried with the ashes of the Republic. I mentally slapped myself for being so stupid. If only I had ended it all that night in the Chancellor's office, then I wouldn't be here, fighting for my life against Palpatine and the Imperial Forces. I would be happy at home, with Padme and the kids, and the Republic would be alive and well.

"Here we are." Rex said. Another part of me died as I walked up the steps of the Jedi Temple. There were piles of dead bodies everywhere, and all that left of the Jedi Temple was its charred remains. Every trace of the Republic has now been obliterated. Anyone can see that. I felt my knees tremble.

"Ahsoka's probably up ahead." Rex noted. "C'mon, General Skywalker. You said you wanted to look for her." But no sound came out of my mouth. I dropped to my knees and wept, knowing that nothing will ever be the same.

"Anakin!" A voice cried. Padme was running towards me. She was wearing a Naboo Starfighter Pilot outfit.

"Padme? What are you doing here?" I got to my feet while struggling to pull myself together.

"Anakin! I'm glad you're okay."

"Me too. Have you seen Ahsoka or Mia?"

"They were in the Jedi Temple last time I saw them." Padme noticed the tears on my face. "Ani...what's wrong?"

"The Jedi Order. It's gone. Palpatine has wiped out most of the Jedi."

"I know, Ani. But the fight's not over yet." Padme encouraged, but I shook my head.

"No, Padme. You don't understand. It's over. We're toast. Palpatine's probably gonna come over and slaughter us all. Most of the Jedi are dead. Most of the clones ganged up on us. Palpatine is in power now that the Republic has been turned into an Empire. There's no hope left."

"Ani, don't talk like that. Palpatine might've annihilated the Republic and all traces of it, but that doesn't mean you can give up now! You're not the type to run away."

"Well, I am now! Palpatine's gonna come for my head sooner or later, and there's nothing I can do about it! Save yourself and the kids too, and get outta here! All hell has officially broken loose!"

"But, Anakin! You're the Chosen One! You're supposed to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force! Don't leave it in darkness! The galaxy needs you!" Padme pleaded, but I began to run.

"There's nothing I can do to save the galaxy, Padme! Can't you see that? I can't stand up to Palpatine. No one can. And I'm saving myself, because Palpatine's gonna start hunting the rest of the Jedi down. I'm sorry, but this is it." I fought back and left.

"Anakin, please! Don't do this!" Padme implored, but I had already began preparing to hide. I don't care what anyone says, the Republic is finished! No one can save it, not even me. So all I can do is go into exile and hope for the best.

---

Author's Note: Order 66 has come and gone, but it has left Anakin shattered, believing that there is no hope left for the Republic.

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." ~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

What do you think will happen now that the Jedi Order has been annihilated?