Chapter 6

I quickly cooked a Bolognese sauce as I planned to cook a spaghetti Bolognese as he always used to like it when we were together. It didn't take long to do so it was done by 6:30. I rushed upstairs and re-straightened my hair, applied a tiny bit more make-up and then turned to my wardrobe. What to wear? I didn't know what Danny would turn up in. Should I put a dress on and make an effort or do I just wear some jeans and a t-shirt? I bet Danny wasn't having these problems. Being a girl is so tough. I decided I needed advice so gave Holly a quick ring. I thought I had better let her know what's happening as she kind of helped this happen.

"Hey Jess! Everything ok?" Holly asked as she answered the phone.

"Yes - everything's great but Danny's coming over in 20 minutes and I don't know what to wear - help me?" I asked.

"Oh how exciting! Look nice. Wear a skirt or a dress or something. Make an effort," she said.

"Ok, do you think my black one will look ok?" I asked.

"Yes, omg, that'd look fab! Good luck Jess. I loves ya," she said, before hanging up.

Taking Holly's advice, I grabbed my black dress and wriggled into it. It was quite tight and figure-hugging. I grabbed my matching black small heels and pulled them onto my feet before rushing back to check on the Bolognese sauce which was still busy cooking away. It was 6:50 by this time so I quickly poured myself a glass of lemonade before making my way to sit in the lounge where Jackson was all snuggled up asleep. I gave him a quick stroke being careful not to wake him up. I turned on the radio to avoid any awkward silences when Danny was round. I sat browsing through twitter and instagram for the next five minutes until the doorbell rang. I put my phone on the coffee table and stood up taking a deep breath and readjusting my dress and hair.

"Come on Jess," I whispered as words of encouragement to myself as I opened the door. Danny was stood there looking amazing in black jeans and a white shirt. He was holding a bouquet of roses.

"Wow, you look amazing," he said, as he stepped inside.

"You don't look too bad yourself," I said, winking at him.

"These are for you," he said, handing me the roses.

"Wow, they're beautiful thank you!" I exclaimed, walking through to the kitchen where I put the flowers in a vase of water while Danny sat at the dinner table.

"Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner, is that ok?" I asked, as I joined him at the dinner table.

"Yes of course. It's my favourite! How did you know?" he said, his eyes lighting up.

"I remembered," I blushed, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. I looked up to see him smiling at me. Thankfully, the timer then went off telling me the pasta was boiled and the garlic bread was cooked. I quickly got up and dished up our food as well as getting Danny a beer to drink before sitting down to eat.

"Ummm, this is delicious," Danny complimented. "When did you learn to cook?"

"I've always been able to cook thank you very much!" I gasped, pretending to be offended.

"Yeah right! You could never keep it in the bowl! Remember the cakes?" Danny laughed making me burst out laughing remembering the day we made cakes and the cake mixture ended up going everywhere.

"But the cakes turned out well!" I debated. "Once we'd scraped all the mixture of the walls."

"Those were the days, huh?" Danny reminisced. "I miss them. I miss you Jess."

"Don't Danny," I whispered, looking down.

"No Jess. I came here to talk. We need to do this - talk this through," he demanded.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry," I apologised.

"Are you done? Shall we go sit in the lounge? It might be comfier," Danny suggested.

"Yeah, good idea," I said, standing up and following Danny into the lounge and sitting beside him.

"Ok, Jess, here's the deal," Danny started. "I've missed you from the day we broke up. There's never been a day that's gone by when I haven't thought about you. Thought about what you were doing, how you were and I know it was all my fault but I haven't stopped loving you from the day we met in registration. Yes, I've been with other girls but they only ever last for a couple of months at the most. It didn't feel right with them. Every time I was with them, kissing them I only wished it was you."

"Then why did you cheat? If you loved me? If I was the only one for you? Or are you lying to me? Cause if you are, Danny, I really don't wanna hear it," I snapped, wiping a tear that fell from my eye.

"I'm sorry, ok? I was messed up. Honestly, I hated it at Julliard. Everyone there was so fake and horrible and I was missing you like crazy. I guess I went off the rails a little bit but I need you to know that I never meant to hurt you. I thought I'd have a bit of fun leading this girl on and sleeping with her. I know that was a horrible thing to do. I was a total dick, I'll admit that, but it really did mean nothing to me, Jess. You have to believe me."

"I do. I do believe you. I know how fake people in this industry can be but that's no excuse for what you did. You might not have meant to hurt me but you did. You didn't just break my heart you ripped out of my chest, tore it into millions of pieces and stamp on it. You destroyed my trust in everyone and everything. It took me ages to get back on my feet."

There was a slight silence until I broke it.

"Do you remember all those romantic nights in the woods and our surpirse dates? Do you remember when we kissed? That meant everything to me Danny and who knows, we could've still had that but you messed it up. You're the one who messed up our love and relationship."

"I know, I know. You don't know how much I torture myself for messing it up. I'm so so sorry. I know what I did was a disgusting horrible thing but I promise you I'm not like that anymore. That part of me left a long time ago."

"I'm glad."

"So what's gonna happen now?"

"I have no idea."

"Right, I'm gonna be completely honest with you. I love you more than you can imagine. I wanna give us a try again. I promise I will look after you, love and care for you more than before, more than ever," Danny blurted out.

"Wow, slow down. I-I think love you too b-b-but I don't know if I can do this," I sighed, shaking my head, tears still running down my cheeks.

"I understand but give me a chance. Let's forget the past. We don't have to push anything." Danny said.

"Ok, ok but lets just be friends? This is so much to take in. I'm really not ready to commit to anything again. I don't know if I can trust you again. It might not be the same.." I thought out loud.

"That sounds pretty good to me. We'll just see how it goes," he smiled, leaning in and pecking my cheek. I smiled back as he wrapped his arms around me pulling me into a hug. "No hard feelings?"

"No hard feelings," I replied, a big grin spread across my face.