Chapter 35

I stood up and ran towards the door desperate to not let Danny get away. I needed to apologise and make him see it was nothing. I thought telling him would be the right thing to do but instead I'd just messed everything up again. I flung open the door and rushed out to the driveway but Danny was already reversing off the driveway. I ran up to the car banging on the back of the car, shouting and trying to get Danny to stop but he just drove away. I stood there watching as he drove up the road as tears rolled down my cheeks. I slowly walked back inside feeling defeated, angry and annoyed at myself. No doubt he was now on his way back to airport and to America. As I walked back into the living room my phone started to ring loudly from the table. An unknown number lit up the screen but I recognised it from somewhere.

"Hello?" I said, hitting the green button and holding the phone to my ear.

"Hi Jessie, its Tom," the voice from the other end of the phone said. That's where I recognised the number from. It was the number on the card Tom had given me just less than an hour ago. "I was just calling to see if you got home ok. I'm sorry I should've walked you home."

"No I got home fine thanks," I snapped. Tom was the last person I wanted to talk to right now. I hope he'd get the hint by the tone of my voice that I was annoyed and didn't wanna talk but he carried on talking.

"Anyway about earlier I was thinking do you wanna ha-" Tom began.

"No, no I don't want to, ok? Earlier was a mistake and it's just ruined my relationship so please just delete my number and never call me again, alright?" I shouted all the anger and upset inside of me coming out.

"But I thought you and Danny were over?" Tom asked.

"We are now and it's all our fault so please just leave me alone," I sobbed before hanging up. I threw my phone onto the chair the other side of the room and led down my face in a pillow as I cried. My phone kept ringing and ringing but I ignored it knowing it would only be Tom obviously not paying attention to what I had just said. As the old clock in the study chimed 4 o'clock, I dragged myself off the sofa and into the bedroom grabbing my phone on the way.

I clicked onto Danny's contact and hit 'send message'. 'I'm sorry Danny. Please believe me, it was nothing. I love you and only you - forever and always.xxxxx' I typed out before hitting the send button. I turned my phone off to stop Tom from calling for the hundredth time and put it on the bedside table before snuggling down into the bed and duvet. I was only gonna get a little bit of sleep before the birds that sung every morning started singing as it was so I wanted to get to sleep quickly if my mind allowed me to get any sleep at all. I tossed and turned for a few minutes before my tiredness took over me and I closed my eyes.

I woke up with a start as there was someone banging loudly on the door. It felt like I'd been asleep for a while but I rolled over and glanced at the alarm clock on the bed side table and read that I had only been asleep 10 minutes and it was 4:15. I got out of bed, sneaking to the door with the duvet still wrapped around me. I hated leaving a bed so if I had to I was taking the duvet with me. I pulled the chain across so the door wouldn't open fully in case it was anyone dodgy. I hated answering the door to anyone I wasn't expecting let alone when it was the middle of the night and I was all by myself.

I opened the door as far as the chain would let me and gasped. In front of me stood Tom with a rose, two hot chocolates and a box of chocolates in his hands.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone," I hissed through the small gap in the door.

"Jessie please - I just wanna make you feel better and make this up to you," Tom insisted trying to push the door open.

"You couldn't do that. You think you can just show up with a bunch of stuff, probably kiss me again and it'll all be ok? Just go away and leave me alone," I shouted slamming the door shut as he finished. I clenched my fist in anger. Not only at Tom for not listening to what I said but anger at me because however much I hated it, the butterflies had returned as soon as I saw him stood there.