Chapter 9

I rolled over the next morning to see Danny sleeping peacefully. I wondered what time it was as it was only just getting light outside but the alarm hadn't gone off to tell us it was time to get up. I climbed out of bed slowly and carefully making sure not to wake Danny up and sneaked out of the room. I decided I'd make breakfast as he'd been so lovely and kind to me last night. I walked into the kitchen squinting as the light came on and almost blinded me. I opened the fridge and examined the inside seeing what I could possibly make as the fridge was practically empty. I found some eggs; bread and bacon in the fridge so I pulled those out and stared at them thinking of what I could possibly make. I had eggs and bread so I decided I'd make French Toast with some bacon on the side. Now all I needed was baked beans to go with it! I started rummaging through the cupboards. I found biscuits, breadsticks, cake decorations, tuna, tinned sweet corn and a bunch of other stuff that looked as if they'd been in there for years but no baked beans.

'Surely he must have a tin of baked beans around somewhere.' I thought to myself.

I searched the last few cupboards but there were no sign of baked beans. Who doesn't have a tin of baked beans in their house?! I still had another 30 minutes until the alarm will go off and Danny would wake up and I remembered passing a corner shop not far from Danny's thatsaid it was open 24 hours a day. I grabbed some money and pulled a coat on over Danny's shirt and trackies I was wearing and set off to find the shop. It was only 6 o'clock on a Sunday morning so not many people were awake so I didn't really mind going out in my pyjamas as I only passed a couple of people and no one really took much notice anyway. It was only a 5 minute walk to the corner shop and I found it pretty easily. I walked in saying a cheery good morning to the man at the till before I picked up a tin of baked beans and paid for them. I was just heading back out of the shop when I stopped dead in my tracks. Over the other side of the road stood the man I'd been avoiding for the last 24 hours. Jake.

I pulled the hood, from the coat I was wearing, up over my head and started to walk really quickly with my head down praying he didn't notice me. I daren't look up in case he was looking at me. The driveway to Danny's apartment block was in sight so I quickened into a run. I heard a shriek of a car braking suddenly and looked up to see Jake darting in front of the car and sprinting across the road towards me. I screamed and ran towards Danny's flat as quickly as I could but as I got to the gate of the driveway two arms wrapped themselves around me.

"I found you," Jake hissed in my ear.

"Get off me!" I screamed, struggling like mad, desperate to get out of his grasp.

"Why didn't you come home last night? I was waiting for you," he snarled.

"That's exactly why I didn't go back home," I shouted.

"Scared of me are you? Good, that's just how it should be," he laughed.

"Get off!" I shouted again, struggling for all I was worth.

"So you stayed with lover boy, did you? Is he taking care of you?"

"Yes, yes he is actually."

"So what are you doing out so early this morning?"

"I came to get some stuff for breakfast now please just LET GO!" I shouted.

"Nope, I'm never letting go. You're coming with me," he growled, dragging me along the street. I screamed and struggled as much as I could but it was no use. Jake was so much stronger than me and he had such a tight grip on my arm, I had no hope of getting away. Tears sprung to my eyes but I bit my lip hard refusing to let them spill. I wasn't going to let him think I was weak. He would use it to his advantage and no way was I going to let him get away with this. I didn't know what I was going to do but hopefully I'd think of something.

He suddenly stopped as we got to a black car. He opened the passenger door and shoved me in before climbing into the driver's seat.

"If you dare think of jumping out, next time I get you it will be a million times worse," he growled as he started up the engine and sped down the street.

"Where are we going? I have to get to work," I shouted. "You do realise if you don't get me to work on time they'll realise what has happened. They'll find me."

"Oh, don't worry I'll get you to work on time. We just need to go over a few things," he laughed, evilly.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Oh, you'll see," he grinned. We carried on down the road, turning left as we got to the end of it. I had no idea where he was taking me but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be anywhere nice. I sat back not saying a word. I knew if I tried to argue or escape he'd only be even worse to me next time. The butterflies in my stomach were going crazy and I felt sick with worry but I wasn't going to let on. I'd act like I didn't care and that he couldn't hurt me even though all I wanted to do was burst into tears.

Eventually, we pulled into an empty building site. I looked around confused as he stopped the car and turned the engine off. He turned to face me.

"Where are we? What are we doing here?" I asked, looking at the piles of bricks and mud and concrete that lay around the car.

"Oh, nothing I just need to go over a few things with you. No one would see us here so I thought here would be best," he explained.

"Well, I need to be at work in half an hour so you better be quick," I warned him.

"I know, I know, I'll get you there, don't worry this won't take long," he started. "Now I'll drop you off at work under one condition. You mustn't talk to Danny or let on to anyone that you've seen me. After work, I'll be waiting in the car park of the pub round the corner. Come straight there and come with me."

"Why on earth would I do that?!" I snarled.

"You will if you want your precious doggy to live," Jake laughed.

"Jackson?! What have you done to him!?" I shouted. I watched as Jake pulled his phone out from the pocket of his trousers. He unlocked his phone before passing it to me. Tears filled my eyes as a picture of Jackson locked up in a cage looked back at me.

"How dare you! You fucking prick!" I screamed, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Do what I say or the dog will die," Jake hissed. "Now you got it? No talking to old lover boy and don't you dare mention me to anyone. I'll be waiting in the car park at 7 o'clock."

"Ok, ok. I'll be there," I sobbed. "Just please, look after Jackson."

"He'll be fine," Jake said, bluntly. He then started the engine and zoomed off out of the building site. I stared out the window the whole journey to the studios. I couldn't even bare to look at him. Millions of thoughts were going through my head. I had no idea what I was going to do but I knew I had to go with him tonight. I had to save Jackson even if I couldn't save myself.