Chapter 6 - Gentleman

Cynthia walked slowly to her room, like a ghost. The same way Evelyn had earlier. 

She reached her bed and hugged her knees then laid her head in between them.

She let it all out. She sobbed, she scram, she cried. All for Evelyn. When the thoughts of all the pain her daughter had suffered entered her mind, Cynthia thought she would die. Of all the fear her daughter must have felt, mixed with pain, confusion, hurt and so much more. 

Cynthia cried by herself. How must her daughter have felt? She thought. She must have felt so alone and helpless, forgotten and lonely. She shouldn’t have let her daughter go! The thought of her daughter crying alone made her cry more. Her daughter was the only thing she had left in the world and she almost lost her. Her daughter thankfully had not been killed but she would live in fear and paranoia for so long. She had lost her innocence the only thing that was pure. Her daughter had lost so much because of one man. One god damned bastard! Oh how she hated him. More than the devil himself if he wasn’t already the devil. That man wasn’t a man to her. He was a sick monster who took so much away from young girls and she knew that Evelyn wasn’t the first or the last. Cynthia was going to do all in her power to make sure he was locked up in bars, sentenced to death. Something. She would keep her daughter safe. 

She would remember how her daughter said that she wanted to save herself for the right guy. Now he took her virginity. But that wasn’t all that her daughter was. Her daughter would still truly give herself to the man she loved whoever he was or whenever it might be she did not know but it didn’t matter. 

Her daughter was still herself. She would help her daughter through everything. Give her space and time. Understand her. Be there for her whenever she’s in need. She’d never in a million years give up on her. Ever.

It was all Evelyn from now on.

***

We were inside Jacob’s silver mustang. It was an amazing car and yes I knew his parents had money. His parents didn’t really care what he did as long as he left them alone to deal with their business for more and more money. Jacob had told me all about his home life and how it was good and bad. He could have anything he wanted but never any care from his parents. I remembered hugging him and telling him about my dad. He was  my best friend and now he was even more.

I buckled my seatbelt.

“Who said you were my boyfriend?” I asked smiling.

“I did.” He laughed

“That’s good to know I said yes when you asked.” I laughed and he did too, then he kissed my cheek.

“Are we going to have the same seatbelt discussion Jacob?” I asked in a disbelieving tone and shaking my head.

“Do you want to?” He beamed at me

“Not really.” I smiled 

“Yeah, neither do I. So where do you want to go?”

“The park? I don’t know I guess I want some fresh air.” I smiled and remembered wanting the same thing earlier but only finding that the beach felt like ruins. Maybe the park would be better and Jacob was here after all.

“Then we’re going to the park.” He said excitedly then took my hand and squeezed it.

Jacob drove with his left hand and his other remained intertwined in mine. It felt warm and perfect against mine.

I couldn’t help but feel a little taken aback by his posture as he drove. Confident and... sexy? Yes, that was the word. I shook my head at my own thought then we were at the park.