Chapter 22 - Young Man

So here's a short chapter... I decided to just put it up because I'll write more once I upload on my other story. It's kind of boring (At least to me) Haha. That's because I want to get to the action in this story! Lol. But it's still important... Trust me. If you like it please remember to vote, comment, and fan! (:

_____________________________________________________________________________

Cynthia looked at Jacob, studied the features of his youthful face. The face of her daughter’s boyfriend didn’t seem to hold any threat or harm. She was sure he wouldn’t harm her only daughter. Yet as she scrutinized his radiant face, she found something more than the laughs and jokes of a teenage boy. Cynthia saw something good and pure, wise and strong, waiting to be noticed as he grew into a man.

Jacob looked at her patiently, waiting for her to speak since she had called on him and practically taken him away from the daughter that stood just feet away in the kitchen. She wanted a brief talk with the boy her daughter loved.

“Listen, Jacob, I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate what you’ve done for my daughter. You’ve been by her side through so much and I can’t even put a finger around the fact that you’re still here. I know you’re going to be one great man.” Jacob’s face was serious as he took in Cynthia’s words, still knowing what was coming up by her tone of voice. “ I also know that my daughter is going through something very painful right now and she won’t bare you leaving her out of nowhere. If you’re not ready to deal with something like this- and I can completely understand why-then don’t delay because I can’t see her coming anymore attached to you.” 

“I know you’re worried for your daughter, Cynthia, but I’ll never hurt her. I love her. I’m going to be by her side and I won’t let any of you down. I’ve got no one else, Cynthia. No one else but Evelyn. She’s helped me through everything and I’m going to do the same.” His voice was firm and resolute but nowhere near the verge of being disrespectful. That would definitely get him nowhere, especially since Cynthia was way more stubborn than he ever thought Evelyn was. He just needed to show his determination to stick by his words and he had to show how much he loved his best friend and girlfriend.

Cynthia blinked twice in astonishment at the strength and firmness of the young man’s voice and the posture he held that only highlighted his boldness. It was refreshing to know someone so good-willed and strong stood by her daughter’s side. Her daughter could have chosen any of the pot smoking, drug inducing, alcoholic bandits of the high school but she hadn’t. She’d have to thank her for that.

She mouthed a thank you to Jacob and hugged him dearly then called her daughter over for the talk that needed to get out of the way. Everything would be better soon, once reality was out of the way.

~Evelyn~

I walked over to where my mother and boyfriend stood in the living room. There was no doubt that I had definitely ‘overheard’ their conversation. It felt good to know that they both cared about me as much as I did for them.

Jacob and I sat down at the love seat, knowing whatever my mom would say would be packed with a punch that could send us to the floor. 

My mother sat in the single recliner beside us.

“Alright. Let’s cut the crap and get to the point. Both of you are living life as two teenagers faced with adult decisions and sadly, there’s nothing we can do about that but stick together and make it through. I don’t doubt you’re more mature than most people your age judging by all the shit you have to face.” She sighed and I blinked twice at how straightforward she was being. It was oddly comforting. Jacob took my hand and squeezed it gently then my mom continued her speech.

“I think both of you are mature enough to make decisions regarding your lives but keep in mind that I’ll always be there to advice the two of you. Whether you like it or not. I can advise you on what I think is right for the baby but I honestly think it’s Evelyn’s choice and I think it’s Jacob’s choice to decide whether or not he’ll stick around.”

I looked at my mom and saw the evidence of how tightly she was holding herself together. The way her hands held the other so tightly that the knuckled were white was the dead give away. I didn’t know what to say.

“What are you going to do with the baby?” Jacob whispered right beside me. I turned to look at him and found his face already angled towards mine, watching me.

“I don’t know. I have to think about it.” I whispered to him. He nodded and gave me a small smile that didn't get to his warm eyes.

I turned to my mom and repeated the same thing.

“It’s okay, Ev. you have time.” She said, smiling.

“I think I want to take a nap.” I said. I had become so accustomed to the midday siestas that my body craved one at the moment.

“I’m tired myself from the busy weekend but-” Jacob looked at my mom, asking for permission with his eyes. She smiled, rolled her eyes in amusement, and nodded her head.

I took Jacob’s hand and began leading us to my room. 

“Don’t do anything stupid!” My mom called from the kitchen and I rolled my eyes. We were in my room where the cushiony bed called for us. I kicked off my flats and decided to stay in the comfortable silky dress.

Jake and I got into bed and immediately the strong sanctuary of his arms enveloped my body. He pressed me close to his chest and I nuzzled my head into the hollow crook of his neck. His skin was hot and smooth as it warped into mine. His scent of cologne and leather causing me to inhale, taking in as much of him as I could. I already felt safe and sound in his arms. 

But I still had to think about what I was going to do with the human being that was growing inside of me at this very moment. I knew it was a human being, not a fetus or a monster. It was a baby. With eyes, a nose, and feet- even if it had yet to form. Abortion was out of the question. I would never kill my own child, even if it’s father had turned my life upside down and basically left it in ruins, causing me to reconstruct it with even more walls than it had before.

I knew the baby wasn’t a monster. That wasn’t inherited. Just because his father had been a crude and evil monster didn’t that he was and I was sure of that. His father must have had a difficult life with a poor upbringing and no one there to help him. But I didn't pity him. I refused to pity him.For one night of his sick pleasure he decided to take my virginity without a second thought. I hated him. I would never bring myself to forgive him.

Could I keep the baby? The baby that would look up at me with big round eyes, curly hair, and bubbling laughter. The one that I would carry inside of me for nine months, the one I’d deliver and hold in my arms at the hospital bed. Why would I give him away if I had gone through so much trouble to bring him into the world?

But what if he looked like him and not like me? What would I do then? Somehow, it doesn’t seem to matter. Not once I think of raising my own flesh and blood. Could it be better if he lived with an adopted family? What could they give him that I couldn’t? The though of giving him away to someone else brought this tugging pain to my heart and the pits of my stomach. There was only one thing that I could associate with that tugging pain that came at the thought of losing someone. That thing was love.

I loved the baby that was growing inside of me and I couldn’t let him go. I didn't want to let him go. I would never let him go. The thought of having someone who was immediately going to love me unconditionally endued this warm feeling inside of me. I was young. I was pregnant. And I was going to be a mother. 

I would be a mother no matter what I did with my baby. I could never run from that.

“Jacob?” I called out to my boyfriend from beneath him.

“Hmm?” He answered, sleep evident in his murmur.

“Jake, I think I’m going to keep the baby.”