Chapter 10 - Like A Zombie

<------------------------------------------------------------------------PLEASE VOTE!!!

Jacob drove me home and I told him I’d call him to pick me up later but that I wanted to rest a bit. He didn’t seem so sure of just leaving me. I didn’t know why either but I knew that when I was alone and with nothing to do, flashbacks would torment me.

I knew I was tired and that I wanted to have a good night’s sleep for at least eight hours but I was afraid to. Imagine that. Being afraid of going to sleep. I felt like such a coward!

Since I wasn’t going to sleep I decided I would cook some dinner. My mother had a late shift today and she’d come home hungry but instead of having a plain bowl of Corn Pops she’d have a nice steak with potatoes. She needed it after all, being an obstetrician was a busy job and she deserved a good homemade dinner. My mother’s a great cook and she said I was too. I guess I acquired the trait from her.

I set my bag on the couch and went over to the fridge. I took three strips of steak and then all the condiments I would need, once I was finished getting that I took some potatoes from the racks and set them down to prepare them. As I finished and the potatoes and steak had their spices and salt, I cooked them and set them aside in a covered dish.  Now what would I do to occupy my mind? Read? No that doesn’t have the same effect of just leaving the universe as it always did. Maybe I’d watch some television? No, been doing that too much lately. Got it! I’ll clean the house. Not only will it occupy my mind but my mom wouldn’t come home to so much work.

I went into the hall closet and took out a broom, dust basket and a mop. 

I started to broom the floor and even though I had something to do, my mind drifted to unpleasant things.

Jacob was getting suspicious of me and I knew he didn’t want to pressure me into telling him something I wasn’t ready to tell but it was getting to him. When he asked me yesterday if Tyler was the cause of my bruises I felt like I had taken a bullet. He looked so pained and tense, as if he didn’t want a certain answer. When I told him that it wasn’t Tyler he immediately eased a little but I could still see something wrong in his eyes. He couldn’t remain in the dark anymore because I knew he would get to the point where he couldn’t take anymore of my secrets. He wasn’t like Erica that when you said nothing was wrong she’d just believe you and dismiss the thought even if it was evident that there was something terribly wrong. 

I continued sweeping the floor until I had the whole house covered then did the same with my mop. 

When the floor were cleaned I went over to the sink and started to wash the dishes, the last thing I’d have to do. 

The running of the water wasn’t loud enough to calm my head down.

I was being carried up stairs and then placed on a bed. Suddenly I was naked and this horrible pain erupted inside of me. I couldn’t scream or move and any attempts of protest only resorted in more pain. 

A horrible noise came through the house and I dropped the glass dish onto the floor with moisture in my eyes. It was just a car coming to a halt outside in the street. I picked up the broken glass from the floor with the broom and threw out the contents into the garbage.

I started to cry silently and finished the dishes as fast as I could. I wanted to shower and feel clean again because I felt horribly filthy.

I ran to the bathroom and took the quickest shower that I could then stepped out and ran into my room. I quickly changed into some casual shorts and a baggy red t-shirt with some flip flops. I sat down at my vanity brushed my hair and blowed dried it longer than necessary, enjoying how the loud noise didn’t allow me to think along the feeling of warmth on my skin.