Chapter 7 - My 'Friend'

+Jacob+

Where’s Ev? How come she’s not at school? I see Erica walking down the hall with Melanie and I walk to her. Maybe Erica knows where she is.

“Hey, Erica. Do you know where Ev is?” I ask her and she looks baffled at me.

“No. I went to pick her up this morning but no one was home and the car was gone too. I thought she might have been dropped off earlier by her mom and I was hoping to see her here.” She looked worried. Erica was crazy and a complete opposite from Evelyn but I knew she cared about her or at least she looked like she did.

“Well, I’ll call her then.” 

“Okay. tell me what she says.” I nod and walk the opposite direction from her.

Using my speed dial for Evelyn I wait a few rings until she says hello.

“Evelyn, are you alright? How come you aren’t at school?” I sounded a bit more frantic than I had intended too but I couldn’t help it. After looking at her bruises yesterday and knowing that someone had hurt her I was worried that she wasn’t at school, maybe she was in danger.

I hear her chuckle quite strangely from her usual chuckle and she speaks.

“Yeah, Jake I’m fine. I’m just a little worn out today and I, um, went to the store with my mom.” Why would she go to the store if she was tired? Her voice sounded a bit strange so I knew something was up.

“Okay, Ev. You’re tired so you went shopping?” I could hear suspicion in my own voice.

“I know, it sounds stupid but I just wanted some time with my mom, since she needs help with, um, groceries and when we’re done I’ll go to bed.” She said.

“Evelyn, why do I get the feeling you’re hiding something?”

“I don’t know Jake.” she sighs “I promise I’ll call you later, my mom’s calling for me to help her, um, pick out some cereal so I should go but I’ll text you when I get home. I love you.”

“I love you too, Ev.” She hangs up the phone. I knew something was up from her shaky voice and uses of the word ‘um’ something she did constantly when she lied but I had heard her mom call her through the phone so I wasn’t going to ask her now. I would when I left school and saw her later. At least she was with her mom. 

I knew I was being a bit of a worry wart but after seeing Evelyn’s beaten torso and having her crying in my arms I couldn’t help but get worried if she didn’t go to school all of a sudden. I didn’t want anything to happen to her. I would ask her again if she knew who did this to her but I don’t think she did. I knew when she was lying and that wasn’t one of the times.

I decided to go to Erica and fill her in on Evelyn’s story since she probably didn’t know what happened to Ev and I wouldn’t tell her. That was Ev’s decision. Erica was also baffled at what I told her but I just shrugged innocently and went to class with Jay.

***

“I love you too, Ev.” I hang up the phone. I felt horrible lying to Jake. I knew I’d have to tell him everything soon but I just didn’t want that soon to come.

My mom had called me when I was talking to Jacob on the phone telling me to hurry up so I cut the call short and went over to doctor and my mom, the nurse had already sat down in the desk doing the things that nurses do.

“Hey, doctor. Sorry, that was my boyfriend.” I said truthfully, not wanting to lie anymore. I was a bit confused when I saw an officer signing a paper on the desk and handing it to the doctor but I didn’t give it further thought. I think it was a permission slip for whatever they’d do to me.