Chapter 20 - Possibilities

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PLEASE VOTE!

Here's an upload! Please vote, comment, and fan if you like my story because that's what motivates me. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it! :D

_____________________________________________________________________________

~Jacob~ 

I hung up the phone and I couldn’t help but feel something was wrong. My girlfriend’s voice sounded exactly as it did a month ago and that definitely scared the shit out of me. 

Was I just imagining things or was it real? Could she be in trouble? Then there was that feeling I got whenever she was lying to me and I was seldom wrong.  

But everything’s been so damn perfect! Nothing could’ve happened that would’ve hurt her since the last time I saw her. Yesterday.  

That’s because nothing wrong. I can’t blame myself for worrying excessively about Evelyn when  she had been hurt so badly just weeks ago. She was still hurt but she was healing and of that I was sure.  

I’ll just call her later and see if she’s alright.  

Everything’s fine, Jake. You just worry too fucking much... 

~Cynthia~ 

Evelyn shook, sobbed, trembled, and cried in my arms and there was barely nothing I could do to stop myself from doing the same. 

 Even though I cried just as much as she was, my pain was nothing compared to hers. My little girl had a burden I had never even thought of experiencing in all my life. When my husband had died a part of did so as well but the pain had never been inflicted on me.

 I had never known what it was like to suffer from a gradually life-killing disease.

 I had never known what it was like to be taken of my innocence against my will, helpless and hurt.

 I had it easy. 

 There was no doubt inside of me that if I could trade places with my suffering daughter, I would.

 It was torturing to see her suffer and not be able to do anything but hold and soothe her. Yet it was not as torturing as being the one who had to be held.

 My sixteen year old daughter was crumbling apart in my arms but I wouldn’t let her break. God dammit, I would never let her break! She’s going to be fine and I’ll be damned if she isn’t.

 For what seemed like hours, I held my little girl in my arms and soothed her until she stopped those mind-breaking sobs and became still.

 I was even more terrified to see her so numb and motionless.

 “Evelyn?” She stared beyond her.

 “Sweetie? Evelyn talk to me.” Nothing.

 I shook her.

 “Evelyn! God dammit! Talk to me!” She blinked and turned her head sideways so that she was looking at me with dark and droopy eyes. They didn’t seem hazel colored but like a dark almost-black grey.

“What?” Fear trickled my spine and goosebumps rose from my skin at her voice. She sounded dead and her eyes signified a sense of hopelessness. It was breaking me apart.

 I have to be strong for her. Hell, I have to be strong for both of us!

 “Everything will be fine, Ev. Don’t give up hope. Life throws obstacles at us all the time but we learn to make the best out of things and keep living our lives. We learn to make them beautiful.” I wiped the tears away from her face but she remained the same.