Chapter 12 - Not Alone

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PLEASE VOTE!!!

Jacob drove slowly in the indoor parking lot, looking for a space to park his car. We easily found one on the first floor and eased into it. Since it was a week day, not many people were out at Las Olas Boulevard.

As much as I wanted to just think of how much fun and relaxing this outing would be, my mind didn’t stop reminding me of something I was avoiding.

Telling Jake the whole and only truth of what happened to me. 

Of how I was raped... I internally flinch at the fact.

I didn’t want to even think of how he could react but of course I had a hundred different scenarios playing out in my head. 

Maybe he wouldn’t bring it up? That was my only hope.

Jake and I got out of the car and started to make our way out of the parking lot. 

The handsome boy took my hand and we walked out into shopping area. There were three floors of many little stores rested next to each other with some restaurants as well. 

I just stood there with Jacob, looking around and thinking of what we might do next.

“I think we should eat before anything unless you want to see me faint.” Jacob told me. His cute smirk on his lips.

“We probably should. I giggle.

Both of us decided to go eat at a small sandwich shop since it was already noon and it was pretty cheap but still delicious. 

Once we were finished, Jacob grabbed my hand and we walked towards the beach. It was literally across the street. 

Although I wasn’t going to mention it, I was very scared. What if I pull a similar scene to the one when I last visited the beach? I shoved the possibility away in my box of painful memories.

I stop moving to take my flip flops off, we were already walking on sand. 

Before I could take my shoes into my hands, I was picked up from the ground and into the air.

“Ahh!” I scream. Holy shit! Not again! Could it be- I calmed down when I noticed the strong arms wrapped carrying me were Jacob’s.

“Oh you!” I say and Jacob starts to laugh shakily. 

“Wow. I really scared you. Sorry.” He seemed repentant.

“No, it’s fine. I’m just a little jumpy, probably didn’t sleep much.” 

Jake gently places me on the sand and once again takes my hand, leading us towards the blue ocean water. He hadn’t said anything for a while, leaving us to just stare aimlessly into the ocean. Then out of no where, he started to speak.

“Evelyn, you’ve been unusually jumpy lately and I know its not because you didn’t sleep well tonight. You slept for more than eight hours. This is breaking me. You already showed me your bruises and I’ve been trying so hard to just wait for you to open up to me. Its killing me. Please tell me already.” His words plunged my heart into my guts then made it start to beat frantically. My skin was heating up tremendously and not from a blush but from nervousness. 

“There’s nothing wrong Jacob.” I tried to lie, to him and to myself. Instead, came the horrible giveaway to my lies.

“Evelyn! Don’t lie to me! Do I seem stupid to you? You told me you’d tell when you were ready, but why can’t you just trust me? How long will it take?” His voice was considerably louder than before, causing me to flinch.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you.” He runs his hand through his hair and sinks to the sand. 

I felt so culpable. I was hurting him. One of the people who loved me the most. One of the people I loved the most. I was hurting myself by causing him pain and as he sat there with that pained expression, I felt a sharp pang in my heart.

I sat down on my knees in front of him and came closer to him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my head against it, taking in his comforting scent. I felt better when he responded by wrapping his arms around me securely.

I brought my lips up closer to his ears and began to whisper to him.

“Jake, I’m so sorry. I know its like insulting you telling you that there is nothing wrong when there clearly is. I’ve just been so scared to tell. I don’t know what reaction from you to expect.” My voice was starting to shake but I kept going. “I don’t want to hurt you anymore by lying to you. I don’t want to hurt any of us any longer.” I suddenly felt ready to open up to him. I longed to be able to just confide everything in him.

“Ev, you know that no matter what, I’ll stand by you. Don’t be afraid to tell me something. I’ll always be there, whether its as a best friend or a boyfriend. I don’t care. I love you too much.” I felt my eyes water slightly at the truth in his words.

I took a deep breath. These were the last few seconds that he would remain clueless. 

I started to whisper into his ear, not brave enough to see his face as I told him everything. I didn’t even have the power to speak. 

“A few days ago I went to a college party with Erica and her brother. It was in Miami and I didn’t know anybody. I was just sitting by myself waiting for Erica. Then some guy started to flirt with me and didn’t leave when I told him to. He offered me a drink so I asked for a coke. He gave me one. I drank it. Suddenly I was being carried up the stairs by someone else, probably his friend. Then- then-” I breathed in again and tried to keep going. “He raped me.” My voice cracked and I felt those overwhelming tears start to well and overflow. 

I wasn’t alone.

Jacob held me so tight. Enveloping me completely into his arms. I wasn’t exposed to the world. He was sheltering me with his body from any danger that could linger in the beach. I felt so safe right there. I just continued crying into his neck, breathing in that wonderful scent of his skin. 

“I’m so sorry, Evelyn. I’m so sorry. So sorry. I’ll never leave you. I’m going to help you through this. We’re going to find him, love. I promise everything will be okay. Everything is going to be okay. I’m so sorry.” Jacob’s voice cracked and he held me even closer to him.

“I know.” I told him and kissed his neck softly. I knew everything was going to be okay with him here.

_____________________________________________________________________________ Okay, that was extremely hard to write, quite short but it took me a while. The story really is going to get going from here on so I'm quite excited. I really would love it if you vote, comment, and fan! Thanks!

Song (Video) on the side really captures this chapter perfectly. I noticed write after I finished writing it and started cruising my playlist. I was like, aha! You're perfect! Lol.