Chapter 8 - Ice Cream Challenge

+Cynthia+

I was walking towards Evelyn’s door, worried because I didn’t hear any noise. I knew that I shouldn’t be worried about what they were doing because I honestly felt that I would have to give Evelyn more space than usual. I didn’t want to pry and steal from her only happiness which seemed to be being with Jacob. I saw the way her face lit up when she saw Jacob waiting at her door and I knew how much it hurt her to have to tell him what happened but I also knew that Evelyn would tell him. She wouldn’t want to keep lying to him or hiding anything from him because she tended to do that to people she loved. She was honest and honestly not a good lier.

I wanted to let Evelyn cope and with time not think about it as much. I knew that I’d have to let her have much more freedom so she would be able to breathe. I didn’t know if she would start to have a physical relationship with Jacob and if she was going to, I didn’t think I would stop her. I would have to talk to her about protection. 

I opened a crack of the door and not hearing anyone scream at me in protest I opened it a little more. The sight before me brought water to my eyes.

Jacob and Evelyn were sleeping in each others arms in a peaceful and lovely manner. It was beautiful to see them so calm. They reminded me of Evelyn’s father and I. I knew that Jacob would do her good and bring here happiness and if he was to stay and sleep with her longer, I didn’t mind. She hadn’t slept in days, screaming and waking up from her nightmares, but as she slept in Jacob’s arms her face looked peaceful and happy. I closed the door and with a smile on my face went to rest as well. I hadn’t slept much either, waking up to help Evelyn or having nightmares myself or as crazy as it sounded thinking of myself running over that man with my car. I had even stayed up from thinking of what Evelyn had gone through but knowing she was happy today made my nap a wonderful thing.

***

The water of the ocean was a crystal clear blue color. I had this sudden impulse to just run down the sand and feel the warm water touch my skin. I looked to my right and I was holding hands with Jacob who looked down at me smiling widely. He was thinking the same thing I was thinking; water. 

Jacob tugged at my hand and with that we started to run full speed down the sand, feeling it graze our feet until we touched the waves. We were suddenly covered with water to our shoulders and I was huddled with Jacob, kissing and hugging him. Then with a swift motion it was a race to the bowie. 

***

I woke up in Jacob’s arms, delighted by his warmth, with memories of the amazingly vivid dream I had with him. I didn’t want to wake up from it because of its lucid beauty. I hadn’t dreamt a good dream or had this peaceful a nap since-

I wouldn’t think about that.

“Hello, sleeping beauty.” Jacob chuckled. I sat up, looking at his big and masculine body lay there on my mattress and I felt this sudden urge to kiss him. I felt my face heat up when I remembered how we had kissed before our nap. It was, needless to say, wonderful. I hid my face a little, trying to hide my blush from him and thought of something to say.

“Jake! How long have you been awake?” I felt so guilty that he had waited for me to wake up. God knows how long I had slept. I guess the guilt was evident in my face since I heard Jacob chuckle.

“Don’t worry. I slept too. I’ve been awake a few minutes.” He smiled

“Oh.” I said, relieved that he hadn’t waited so long. He chuckled.

“What time is it?” I asked and he looked at the watch on his wrist.

“Seven.” He yawned and smiled.