Chapter 26 - Baby Names

Hey, everyone! So, yes, this chapter is quite short but it's nice so I posted it before making it longer. Haha. Please vote, comment, and fan if you liked the chapter!  Thanks for reading! (:

__________________________________________________________________________

~4 Months Pregnant~

“Got it?” Jake asks me as he eyed the thick book in my hand.

“Yup. I think this one’s good.” I say and Jake takes the 60,000 Baby Names book from me with his dazzling smile. 

“Yeah. This one’s perfect! Let’s go.” I slip my hand into his and we head over to the cashier to pay for the book.

***

The doorbell rang, signaling the pizza had arrived, so Jake stood up from the couch where we head been watching a movie to take it and pay.

My mom went into the kitchen and took some cups from the cabinets. I stood up from the couch and went over to her where I filled two cups with soda and one with water. 

“Thanks, man.” I hear Jake say and I looked up to see him closing the door. He had a pizza box in his hand with a bag of breadsticks and he was smiling ear to ear.

“I’m so hungry I’ll eat every slice you two don’t have.” He states and my mom and I laugh together.

“Then let’s eat!” My mom exclaims, smiling. The two of us take the cups and I follow my mom. My eyebrows furrow when she passes the dining table.

“Where are you going?” I ask.

“Oh. We’re eating on the floor.” She answers.

“Cool.” Jake says and plops down on the floor with the pizza box and breadsticks. 

I sit beside him, our shoulders brushing alongside the other, and my mom sits down facing us. She had the baby names book in her hand and placed it on the floor.

“We’re choosing names while we eat.” She informs.

“Gee, thanks for counting me in.” I say and Jake chuckles, elbowing me gently. My mom is smiling in front of us. 

“I just thought about it.” She says.

After a few minutes of eating and light conversation, my mom brings up the baby names subject and I inwardly groan. I wanted to eat without thinking of things!

“Ev, take that face off. You grumpy pregnant woman.” My mom says and I stick my tongue out at her. 

“She’s been feisty lately, Cynthia. Nearly bit off my tongue while we were kissing yesterday.” Jake says and my cheeks burn, causing the two to laugh.

“I did no such thing.” I protest, fighting a smile.

“Ha! See? She’s smiling. She definitely bit my tongue.” Jake says cooly to my mom who’s choking on her laughter.

“Okay, maybe I did. Shoot me.” I say, grinning. “You know you liked it.” I add to Jake and then I get the pleasure of seeing him flush.

“Just a little...” He says sheepishly and my mom is cracking up.

“Haha! This is too funny! You guys are adorable.” She gushes, her maniacal laughter now becoming civilized giggles. “Are you guys having sex?” My mom asks randomly and I nearly choke on the pizza. Jake pats my back until I calm down.

“No!” I scream, extremely embarrassed. Jake is most likely embarrassed too judging from the way his face burned bright red and his usually calm composure was ruined by nervous coughing.

“Sheesh, calm down. You’ll have an early pregnancy.” She says to me.

“You’ll be the cause.” I spat, annoyed and she chuckles at the two of us. Chuckles! I shake my head at her.

“Baby names, please. Talk about baby names.” Jake pleads and now I’m the one laughing.

“Alright. Well I like Kara.” My mom says, looking through the book.

“Too short.” I say, shaking my head. I liked long and flowing names where nicknames could be taken out of.

“Hand it to me?” Jake asks and my mom gives it to him.

“How about Annabella?” He suggests and I nod my head.

“I like that one but not enough. There are over five hundred Bella’s this year.” And my mom shakes her head in agreement.

“Yeah. Total Twilight frenzy.” She agrees. Jake hands the book over to me and I look through it.

“Um. How about Savannah?” I suggest, not totally sold but suggesting it anyway.

“It’s alright.” My mom shrugs.

“I hate it.” Jake states. I pass the book over to my mom.

“Jessica?” And I nearly choke. My mother looks at me in alarm and Jacob laughs aloud, his body shaking as he did.

“What the hell?” She asks.

“Yeah. What the hell were you thinking?” I ask, baffled. No way was I naming my child after a jealous nemesis.

“Alright. No Jessica. Here you go Jake.” She passes it to my boyfriend.

The three of us establish a sort of baby name triangle as we pass the book along with every disqualified name. We had gone through the whole pizza box and breadsticks and a total of about thirty names. From Claudia, to Penelope, to Ashlyn, then to Brianna, Caroline, and Olivia and so on. I liked Olivia a lot but not enough. A name caught my attention as I stared at the book.

“How about Analee?” I ask.

“Has a nice ring to it.” My mom says but I knew she wasn’t completely sold and deep down, neither was I.

“It’s alright but I like the name Ava.” Jake says.

“But Ava is too short.” I protest.

“I know. That’s why we can make it longer and Ava can be a nickname. Like Avalee if you like the Analee idea, or Avalise. Hold on.” He stops, thinking, and my mom and I wait.

“We can name her after you, Ev. Avalyn.” Jake tells me and I feel my heart stop in my chest. Avalyn.

“I absolutely love it, Jake.” My mom says sweetly, smiling proudly at my boyfriend.

“What about you, Ev? And don’t lie.” He smiles but I don’t find the need to lie.

“I think its beautiful. It’s perfect but don’t you think its a little... conceited to name her after me?” I ask and Jake shakes his head.

“Of course not. You deserve it. If it makes you happier then you don’t have to name her after you. You just name her Avalyn because you like the name.” He smiles brightly and I immediately smile back at him, giggling in delight.

“What do you think, mom?” I ask her. 

“Avalyn.” She sighs, smiling. “It’s perfect, Evelyn.” 

I look down at my belly and smile at it as I rub it gently with my hand. 

“Did you hear that Avalyn?” I ask the baby growing inside of me. My mother cheered with laughter and Jake kissed my temple, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

“I won.” He says in victory and I look up at him to find him smiling happily. 

“True. But I won with the gender. Oh! I almost forgot...” I say and his eyes widen in realization. He owed me anything I asked for.

“Oh, shit.” He murmurs and I chuckle aloud. Jake puts his hand on my belly and caresses it sweetly before placing it on top of mine. 

“Avalyn.” He says and I kiss his cheek the I hear a strange snapping.

“Say cheese!” My mom said after she took the picture of Jake and I.

___________________________________________________________________________ Please VOTE! :D