Chapter 4: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“K-Kale McCann!”

Kale looked at me with those gorgeous blue eyes, his eyebrows knitted together quizzically. “Y-Yes…?” He said timidly.

I was well aware I looked like a fool. I clamped a hand over my mouth immediately, realizing I was all too late. Slowly, my hand dropped to my side, “I know you from Florida. Westside High School,” I explained, still blurting out top secret information. If Violet was here she’d of kicked me back to my senses the second I saw Kale.

His eyes were almost as wide as his mouth, “You went to Westside?” He said, his eyes scanning over my body as if he was trying to trigger something in his memory.

Air escaped from my mouth that hung wordlessly. Slowly, I began to form full sentences again like a normal person, “N-Not me, my sister...my twin. She was in a few of your classes, I think…I went to Glendale High,” I said, naming the first high school in my old area that I could think of. “I didn’t want to go to the same school as her.” I said nervously, beads of perspiration running down my temples. Dammit, why couldn’t I have been a good liar like Vi?

His face lit up like he bought the whole story. He beamed, “Really?” He laughed, “That’s so cool!” He said, holding out his big, muscular hand. I shook his hand, trying to smile as wide as him. “I’m Kale—well, you knew that.” He said playfully.

I smiled, “Sam,” I introduced myself.

Alex rolled his eyes, slapping Kale’s hand off his shoulder. “Wow, this is so amazing! I’ll leave you two to your freaky brother-from-another-mother bonding thing that weird kids do,” He said sarcastically, winking at us as he rushed away.

Kale caught his arm in his grip, “Where do you think you’re going, Gray?” He snapped demonically, showing a side of him I never knew existed.

Alex looked back at him, “Anywhere but here, you pansy.” He seethed, detaching Kale’s grip from his arm, “Now get the hell off me!”

“Gray, let’s not make this a big thing.” Kale growled.

Alex scowled, “Wouldn’t dream of it, McCann.” He said, his scowl melting away, batting his eyelashes innocently.

Kale rolled his eyes, “Just get to dinner.” He snapped, narrowing his misty eyes.

Alex scoffed, “If I feel like it, mother.” He growled, stomping off, as the tassels on his black skinny jeans jangled as the only reminder that he was here.

Kale turned back to me, rolling his eyes again, “Did you get stuck with Gray as your roommate?” He asked, pouting sympathetically.

God. He was so hot. “Y-Yeah,” I said, collecting my thoughts, “Unfortunately, he doesn’t seem like the most considerate roommate of them all.” I mused, biting my thumb nail.

Kale laughed airily, “Ha ha! You’re right, though. I have most of my classes with him. The dean made me his mentor as of when I showed up a while ago.” She sighed, “He’s a lost cause, though. He’s total juvey material. I’m only his ‘mentor’”—he made air quotes around the word mentor—“Because I had a perfect record back in Florida.”