Chapter 42: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

I hated sad endings.

In books I’d read before, I always loathed when the ending was dismal. I had to admit, I was a sucker for the endings where everything was all sunshine and smiles. I was a sucker for happy endings, whether they were realistic or not.

Now I was realizing how terribly awful sad endings were in real life.

I opened the door, seeing Parker, Kale, Aaron and Drake all holding cupcakes in their hands like some sort of battle weapon.

Parker began to speak in a low, husky voice, as if he were some sort of villainous character, “Alright, men. On four, we’ll throw these. Leave the play toys at home, wussies, because this shit’s real—”

“Wait, why on the count of four? Why not three?” Aaron wondered out loud.

“Well, why not four?”

“No reason, just that three’s more traditional.”

“Well, I don’t like odd numbers.”

“But, Parker, three is the magic number!”

“Magic or not, four still wins that number contest.”

“Lies!” Aaron snapped, pointing at him accusingly.

“You wanna talk about lies? How about when your mom tells you that she loves you?—”

“Hey, guys?” I interjected feebly, watching them as they all turned their heads curiously to me.

“Yeah?” Drake said, grinning.

“Aw, you interrupted our cupcake war!” Parker sighed exasperatedly, slumping his shoulders disappointedly.

“Just shut up, everyone, especially Parker!” Alex shouted from behind me, slamming the door shut and shoving his hands in his pockets, “Sam has something to say that you all should know.”

“Oh god,” Aaron said, his face going white, “Is this about the time I dropped your toothbrush in the toilet and didn’t wash it? Look, man, I’m sorry, but I was so busy trying to kill that fly—”

I gaped, “What?”

Aaron’s face turned bright red from embarrassment, “Um, never mind. Carry on, please.”

I sighed, deciding to let him go for now. I turned back to Alex, seeing the look of sureness on his face. I guess he wanted me to do this, too. I sighed and readied myself mentally to tell them this bombshell. I didn’t know how they were going to react; I mean, I had been lying to them this whole time. How would they take that? Would they be mad? Would they be glad that I was being honest with them? Would they be embarrassed? I didn’t know. All I did know was that I was going to have to reveal this huge secret and that I didn’t know how they would take it.