Chapter 9: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“For he’s a jolly good fellow, for he’s a jolly good fellow,” Parker, Drake and Aaron sang together, their arms linked as they stood next to Kale’s bed, as Kale watched in what looked like complete horror, mixed with hilarity. Alex and I stood aside his bed, watching with an expression mostly mixed with hilarity and fear for our lives. We’d returned shortly ago and gave Kale the flowers that I was pretty sure Alex sneezed on, but I’d keep that a secret. It was Alex’s own fault for coming when he was deathly allergic to all types of flowers, anyway.

“For he’s a jolly good felllllllllllllllllllllllllow!” They all sang in a baritone, slowly rising up an octave, causing us all to break out into laughter at the sounds of their voice.

“That nobody can deny!” Drake shouted, beaming with joy.

Kale let out a long, airy laugh, making me smile. It was one of the most beautiful sounds in the world to me, even when it sounded sickly and hoarse. It was good to hear that he was laughing, too, because by the looks of him, you would think he was on his death bed. A veil of used tissues covered his sheets, scattered across the bed, and his face was sickly pale. His eyes and nose were puffy and red, and his hair was matted and plastered to the back of his neck with sweat. Every time I looked at him, I wanted to tackle him and give him a long, hard hug, but his laughter was slightly more reassuring.

Kale coughed into a new tissue, “Wow, guys, that was very…interesting.” He said, hugging his flowers to his chest, “And thanks for the flowers, guys, it’s great.”

Aaron beamed, “It was all my idea.” He said, nonchalantly tossing his hair back theatrically.

Parker scowled and punched him hard in the shoulder, “Liar! It was Sam and I,” He scoffed, rolling his eyes.

Smiling wide, Kale flashed me an award winning smile, “Thanks, guys.” He said.

Jesus. Every time I saw him, I forgot I was portraying a boy. I felt my stomach go up in butterflies, and thought it would never go down.

Alex rolled his cerulean eyes, “Okay, okay, cool. Now can we go? It’s late, and I’m tired.”

“It’s six o’clock, you doof.” Aaron scoffed.

“Yeah, you doof.” Kale added, grinning smugly.

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you, sick boy? Don’t think I won’t beat you to a pulp when you’re better.” He said, narrowing his blue eyes into slits.

Kale narrowed his own blue eyes, “You won’t do that. ‘Cause I’m your mentor—”

Quickly, before Kale could finish his sentence, Alex plugged his ear, closed his eyes and screamed, “La La La La La La La La La La La La La! Don’t wanna hear it!”

“Oh, come on! You’re such a child!” Drake sighed, crossing his arms.

“Nuh uh!” Alex snapped, crossing his own arms, very childishly, if I may add.

“Think you are.” Kale whispered, giving his a superior grin.