Chapter 35: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“That Math test was a piece of cake. And you doubted me when I wanted to study.” Sam said to me upon entering our dorm, throwing her book bag over by her desk. “What’d you get on it?” She asked me, her eyes sparkling.

I pursed my lips, shrugging, “A grade.” I said casually. I was in no mood to talk. I was in no mood for much, really.

She scoffed, “Thank you, Captain Obvious.” She said, “What kind of grade?”

“A test grade.” I shrugged.

She frowned. “That so?” She said sarcastically, crossing her arms at her chest.

“Mm hmm.” I nodded, sauntering over to my bed where I threw my bag over by the foot of the bed and climbed up the ladder to the refuge of my bed. I let out a small sigh of relief as my body hit the warm blankets; it was so nice to be relaxed.

She narrowed my eyes in a confused sort of way. “What’s wrong?” She asked me curiously, frowning. I felt the relaxed feeling melt away as she continued to pry.

Your wanna-be boyfriend is a total asshole, is what’s wrong.

I shrugged, “Nothing. I think I had some bad mystery meat at lunch.” I fibbed, burying my face in my pillow.

Sam rolled her eyes, climbing up my ladder to meet my eyes as she reached the top, lingering there as I lied on the bed, “When is the mystery meat good?”

I shrugged, rolling around so I wouldn’t have to face her, “Touché.” I said, a tiny chuckle escaping my lips at the sheer thought of mystery meat tasting even the least bit appetizing.

She stood there for a moment longer, obviously still not convinced of my answer, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

I nodded, “Fine.”

“…Really?”

“Really.”

“…Are you positive? You look really down.”

“That’s funny, ‘cause I’m not.”

She took another moment to ponder, when suddenly her frown dissolved, in its place taking a sad grin stretching all the way from ear to ear. “Aw, Alex!” She cried sentimentally. “You’re sad because school is ending in two months and we won’t see each other until September!” She declared, like she’d solved a huge mystery.

I sighed into my pillow. No shit, Sherlock. I was sad about that and a lot of things.

Things I can’t tell you about.

Her excited rant continued, “Did I get it right, Alex?” She asked me annoyingly, prodding my back with her finger, “I’m right, right? You’ll miss me, right?”