Chapter 29: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

God, why couldn’t I be inside playing Black Ops?

Flocks of mindless, hormone struck girls scampering around weren’t exactly my cup of tea. I could tell it was Parker, what with the grin that was forever stained on his face, but as for me, I stayed put where I was, talking to this seemingly mindless ginger girl as McCann chatted with Aaron. The only thing keeping me sane was knowing that Sam was standing next to me. God, she was probably one of the only sensible girls I’ve ever met.

“I’ll be right back.” Sam said quickly and softly, almost like a whisper.

I turned my head around quickly, feel my blood run cold. Why was she going? She was my only defense against all these crazy girls! “Where are you going?” I asked instinctively, very fervently. I didn’t want her to go so soon.

Her eyes flickered from me to Lucy, her palms balled up in angry fists. “Uh…somewhere.” She mumbled as she dissembled a well attempted look of ease. I opened my mouth to say something, but she had already scampered off in the other direction.

I got a cock of the head from Lucy as I turned back around, “Who was that?” She asked me, her green eyes confused.

“Sam.” I say softly, still quizzical about what happened.

She shrugged, “Hmm. She was a cutie.” She said perkily, flipping some red hair over her shoulder.

“Oh,” I said, a laugh escaping my lips. Even girls like them were smart enough to realize Sam was girly, “Sam is…uh, a boy.”

Her eyes went wide, “Wait—so he goes here? And is a boy?” She whistled, letting out a giggle, “He doesn’t look it.”

I shrugged, shaking it off, “You’re not the first to say so.” I sighed.

A smile spread to her lips again. What, was there something in my teeth? I picked a little at my teeth for a moment and she continued to giggle like a little girl. Yeesh, what was wrong with girls?

“So,” She finally said, batting her eyelashes furtively. These girls sure did like to bat their eyelashes. I tried to remember if Sam had ever bat her eyelashes…no, not unless I’d stuck something in her eye…where was she, anyway? Hanging out with this ginger was making me hungry for some carrots.

“So,” She said again, louder this time so that she took me out of my daydream, “Do you have a date to the dance?” She asked me.

Huh?

“What?” I asked her, my eyes wider then usual.

“Well,” She hung her head low, embarrassed as a red tint warmed her cheeks and she continued to bat her eye lashes, “Would you like to go to the dance with me?”

My eyebrows scrunched together, confused. “Um…” I paused, not exactly sure how to react. “With me?” I questioned, wanting to make sure I heard her correctly.