Chapter 39: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

The room was dark.

It must’ve been night time. I felt my pocket buzz for what felt like the millionth time. Hazily, I fluttered my eyelids open enough so that I could see my surroundings.

I was in the nurse’s office, where I fell asleep. Well, that was a good sign.

I propped myself up on my shoulders, reaching down in my pocket for my phone. I looked at it, staring at it for a moment, waiting for the blue letters to stop looking so hazy. After my vision had settled around it, I noticed it said “7 new messages.” Odd. I was never that popular.

I flipped open my phone, seeing who they were from. An obvious slap across the face hit me when I saw they were all from Kale, wondering where I had wondered off to. In the corner of the faintly blue tinted screen, I could see in bold letters “11:24 PM.” I guess it was too late to call him now. I got up, rubbing my eyes. I felt my socks slide against the linoleum floor as I walked around a bit, trying to feel where I was going. Big mistake.

I kept walking, but because of the dim lighting, I didn’t see the chair sitting in front of me. Stupidly, I crashed straight into it, causing me to practically do a front flip over it. I let out a yelp of pain, rubbing the back of my head that’d hit the side table in front of me, promptly causing Alex’s abandoned icepack to slide off the table and land on my head with a thud. I cursed under my breath and got up, a whimper of pain escaping my lips.

“Sam?”

I screamed, turning myself around hastily. I had no clue what’d said my name, but it became apparent the second I made eye contact with him.

“O-Oh! It’s just you, Alex!” I said lightly, trying to laugh it off. Damn. My head hurt.

He looked at me like I was insane, “What the hell are you doing…?”

“Rubbing my head.” I said miserably, prodding the bruise I could feel developing on the back of my head.

He shook his head, lifting himself up so that he was sitting up straight. He covered his eye, but I wasn’t sure it if was because it was hurting or because he didn’t want me to be able to see it. “No, idiot. I mean what the hell are you doing here?”

I frowned, taking his words and letting them process inside my mind until I realized what he meant. My mouth dropped when I realized it and I nodded my head, “Oh! I um…” I paused, fumbling over my words, “Well, Mrs. Carter said that I should stay in here for tonight. To make sure you were okay.”

He frowned, confused as he looked on the ground, “…What are you doing on the floor, then?”

I shrugged, “Because there were no more cots, I guess.” I said casually, “It’s no big deal. I’ll sleep on the ground.” I said contently, sitting myself back on the ground and curling up around the pillow, “Now get some rest, you’re sick!”

He stared at me, eyes wide, like I was insane, “Get up.” He demanded, nudging me with his foot. I narrowed my eyes at him, irritated.