Chapter 46: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

The garden was fresh; the foliage was green and lush, coiling around trees to climb towards the sky, as if they wanted to shake hands with the sun. The air had the smell of spring on it and the calm, refreshed aroma of a storm after it’s passed.

I’d never been outside in the garden before today. After a bit of searching, I’d noticed that it was a large piece of land behind the school, pushed off away from all life otherwise known to the students. But as I approached the garden, I could see it overwhelmed with lush, green life. There were flowers sprouting out of pots of all colors and shapes; there were magnolias, lilies, daffodils; and forget-me-nots; everything my mother used to grow in her garden.

The sky was bright blue, off in the distance a smoky, gray reminder of a passed storm. I clung to my arms, hugging myself. A quiet breeze nipped at my neck and I realized that I should have brought a jacket. I shook off the thought and simply quickened my pace towards the gates that held the lively garden.

As I approached the vine tangled, aged old gates, I struggled to free a single gate of its ivy coated prison. After a moment of struggling, the gates were finally free and I passed through the ancient entrance. Even though it had an vintage, aesthetic quality, the garden looked rather un-kept. The grass was almost as tall as me, and even though the plants and flowers were gorgeous, they seemed wild and untamed. I ran my hand through a patch of grass as I passed by; I wondered how long it’d been since someone had come here. How could such a beautiful garden go on for so long like this? Why wouldn’t the school want to clean it up?

I pushed all of the thoughts out of my head and tackled the main idea why I was here: to talk to Alex. Once it was confronted and excluded singly in my mind, I could feel goose bumps creep up on my arms and I felt myself shake with anticipation. What was he going to say? How would this work? I didn’t know what would happen, but I was praying for a miracle.

After looking around for a sufficient amount of time, I checked the time on my phone. I curiously raised a brow. It’d been at least twenty minutes, like he said. Why couldn’t I find him?

Nervously, I looked around when I came upon a cobblestone path. The stones showed evidence that they were once firmly held together, resulting in a pretty pathway, but age begged to differ, showing a wrecked mess of random stones, broken and disorderly, thrown around by time. I tried to balance on the shifty surface of the stones and preceeded my way down the path, when I found myself entering a whole different part of the garden secluded by an elegant ivory arch. It was one of the arches that loomed above the heads of a bride and groom as they said their wedding vows; this arch was adorned with beautiful roses of all shades of pinks and reds climbing up, weaving through the white wooden, checkered pattern. I looked around, feeling as if I passed through it, I’d enter a completely different realm. This section of the garden looked entirely closed off from the school, as if it were a whole different lot. Hesitantly, I took a step forward and as I proceeded through the gorgeous section of the garden, I noticed the maintenance start to improve. Soon I was walking on what seemed to be a newly laid down pathway, the stones even looking freshly shined. The foliage was also a bright green, as if it had only just been watered. I curiously went on through the garden, making a quick turn at a spot with only a path to the right.

As soon as I saw what lied ahead of it, I knew that I’d went the right way.

“Alex?”

Alex turned around, an almost shocked look on his face. He sat on a wooden bench in the center of a circular area closed off by a hedge tangled with ivy and flowers. There was something in front of him, adorned with bright flowers, but I couldn’t quite make out what it was exactly.