Chapter 40: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

My eyes fluttered open after feeling a warm strip of light dancing across my forehead. I yawned, outstretching my arms into the air, trying to loosen up my trapped joints. I drew my hand back quickly, about to tuck it underneath my pillow when I heard a grunt of disagreement.

“Ow!”

My eyes quickly opened and I turned my head to the right, my heart pounding like a jackhammer. I sighed, a breath of relief escaping my lungs. “Oh,” I said sleepily, my voice soft, “It’s only you.”

Alex winced, and he covered the swelling bump on his upper cheek. “Yeah, it’s just me. The one you just bumped into.”

I frowned, “S-Sorry. I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

He frowned back at me and rolled his eyes, promptly rolling over in the bed, seizing away all the sheets.

I grimaced and got up, sitting on the bed, and crossed my arms disdainfully, “That’s so unfair!” I accused.

He looked over his shoulder briefly to smirk at me, then went back to smirking. “My bed, my sheets.”

I scowled at him indignantly, “But you told me to get in here in the first place—”

“Ah, ah, ah!” He snapped articulately, “My bed, my sheets.”

I grimaced, kicking the remaining bit of sheets off of me and climbed belligerently off of the cot, practically falling face first on the floor. I heard a cackle of laughter from Alex as I thumped to the floor and I frowned, picking myself up and straightening my posture.

“It’s not funny.” I stated firmly, trying to brush his laughter casually off of my shoulder. I brushed some hair out of my eyes and dusted off my clothing, “I’m going to get a drink of water.”

“Get me one, too.” Alex murmured, already in a sleepy daze.

I gritted my teeth together angrily, “Fine.” I grimaced, stopping out of the room, grabbing my gray converse that were pushed off to the side and slid them on before I quickly exited the room, slamming the door shut. I looked around the office, seeing that Mrs. Carter hadn’t come back yet. I pulled out my phone and flipped the top open, examining the digital clock that said “8:45.” I chewed my lip, trying to remember if it was Saturday or Friday. I couldn’t remember much except for yesterday’s whole commotion. I rubbed my throbbing head, trying to get past the annoying thoughts in my head. I could hardly believe that Alex and Kale took it that far. The whole thing was so childish that I could hardly believe it.

Suddenly, I almost let out a scream as I felt my hand begin to vibrate. I sighed with relief as I noticed that it was only my phone ringing. I laughed to myself and looked at the caller ID, a frown setting into my face. The name “Violet” showed up in big, blue lettering alone with a picture I’d taken of her at her friend’s house at Halloween last year, dressed up as a gangster. The grill looked rather uncomfortable in her mouth. I remembered her crying for days after it cut her tongue and she couldn’t eat anything other than carbs, which she detested, because it hurt. I sighed.