Chapter 24: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“My lunch sucks.”

“No it doesn’t. I have liverwurst. Effing liverwurst—”

“Hey, guys. I think Sam’s asleep.”

“Oh. I thought he died.”

I heard the idle back and forth between Aaron, Parker and Kale at lunch, my head resting on the table. I was only half asleep, to be correct. But within seconds I knew I’d be out like a light.

I had gotten no sleep last night. I’d been tossing and turning in my bed the whole time. “I’m awake.” I slurred with all the voice I could summon.

“Hey! He’s not dead!” Parker said, grinning. He turned to Aaron, “You owe me five bucks, dude!” Aaron sighed and got out his wallet, handing him over the money reluctantly.

“Are you okay?” I heard Kale ask me over the loud clamor of the cafeteria.

I sighed and mustered up a small, “Yeah.” In fact, I was anything but. “Just tired.” I said half truly. It was true that I was tired; no sleep at all would do that to you. But the fact that I said it was just that couldn’t be further from the truth.

“When’d you get to bed?” Kale asked.

“I didn’t.” I yawned, setting my head back on the table, giving into the temptation to close my eyelids and yawn.

“Ouch.” Kale winced, sensing my pain. I nodded consensually and yawned.

“Hey!” I suddenly heard a loud voice bark, “I can’t believe you started lunch without me!”

“Oh, many apologies, great Alex.” I heard Parker say, bowing.

My eyelids blinked and opened wide. Alex? I looked up from within a small space between my elbow and the table and saw the glint of his blue eyes and sleek black hair. Oh, he was so smug. Him with his presumablyperfect smile and his presumably perfect eyes and his presumably perfect face. I looked down to hispresumably perfect lips and felt my own tingle. I blushed and burrowed my head deeper in the crook of my elbow.

“Good.” Alex said, satisfied, and sat down in the seat next to me. I felt his elbow touch my own. My face heated up. My heart raced. I felt my palms get sweaty, and suddenly the change of attitude had me not feeling so tired and restless.

“You okay?” Drake said to me as I raised my head, his eyes wide. “You look like death.”

“Gee, thanks.” I mumbled, running a sweaty hand through my already damp hair. I felt my face burn. I was hot. Like, fever hot. Stupid Alex. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

“What’s wrong?” Parker asked, a mouthful of liverwurst muffling his voice.

“N-Nothing.” I said, hurriedly gathering my books together and standing up. “Just I remembered…I uh, have to study for my math test.”