Chapter 8: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

"Is it normal to be this bored?” Parker complained at lunch, running a hand through his blonde locks. “Where’s Kale, anyway?” He asked, frowning. “He wasn’t in first or second period.”

It had been a few months since I entered this school. This all boy’s school. I had entered in the first place to spend time with my crush of 9 years, Kale McCann. It had been going good so far. I’d been spending a lot of days talking to him and studying with him, so much so that I didn’t even notice as the time flew by. By now, it was December 5th, but it felt like I’d been there for years in the time I’d spent with Kale. But today, there was no sign of Kale. And I had to admit, I was worried.

Aaron perked up from his seat next to me, “He wasn’t in third, either.” He said sadly.

Alex took a bite from his sandwich and turned his gaze to me, “Maybe he’s deathly ill.” He said smugly, giving me an all knowing smirk, “Wouldn’t that be horrible.” He said sarcastically, taking a sip from his soda.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. I didn’t quite understand the feud between Alex and Kale. It seemed pointless to me. The whole reason was because Kale was assigned to look after Alex, since Alex was such a troublemaker and the dean wanted to make sure he was kept in line. But they were total opposites. I just didn’t see what all the fighting was about, “I’m sure he’s fine.” I said unsurely, biting my lower lip.

“Maybe. Maybe not.” He said, twirling the soda’s straw between his two thin, pale fingers.

From my right, I noticed Drake take a seat, frowning. “Hey guys, bad news.” He said solemnly. Which was weird, for Drake at least.

Alex raised a brow, “What? Did your mother call you and tell you you’re adopted?”

Drake grimaced, “Seriously, Alex.” He scoffed, rolling his eyes. He turned to the rest of us, deciding to ignore Alex, like the rest of us had previously decided to do a while ago. “Kale called me. He’s out with the flu.”

My chest clenched, “T-The flu?” I said, my mouth drying up. “I-Is he okay?!” I said, panicking a bit.

Drake shrugged, “I’m assuming he’s fine. You never really can tell, though.” He sighed, his frown setting in deeper, “He sounded sick on the phone.” He muttered, biting his lip.

Alex sighed, “Oh well. It’s not like he’ll die.”

Parker scoffed, poking Alex’s chest with his index finger accusingly, “Excuse me? Weren’t you the one just joking about him being ‘deathly ill’?” He snapped, rolling his eyes.

Alex shooed away Parker’s hand, “I was the one joking about it, yes.” He muttered, rolling his sharp blue eyes in disgust.

I sighed. Kale was sick? How long would he take to get better? A day? A week? Two weeks? I frowned at the very thought of him lying in bed, sick. It only made it worse that there was nothing I could do about it. I shoved away my food. Suddenly I wasn’t so hungry.