Chapter 38: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

A cry tore from my lips as Alex’s fist swung straight for Kale’s jaw. I watched in dismay as Kale let out a grunt, quickly checking with his hand, prodding nearly every area on his face to make sure he was alright. Alex hadn’t gotten him too bad. His lip was swollen, though and a bump on his lip protruded, making me fear for what was going to happen next.

“Good luck kissing her now.” Alex grunted, his eyes narrowed into two enraged slits as he stared at Kale’s swollen lip. Kale watched him in shock, taken aback.

“Alex, get back.” I told him firmly, rushing in between the two. There was worry all over my face, “Please, Alex, just stop it. You’re scaring me.” I told him, my voice quivering.

He looked down to me for the first time, his blue eyes wide as he realized how frightened I was. I tried to calm them down, “Guys, you don’t have to fight. We can all just—”

Before I could even finish, Alex let out a loud grunt as I felt a gust of wind overhead. I looked up, panicked to see that Kale had swung back. I let out another quick scream as Alex toppled backwards, a hand over his pained eye, grimacing from the pain. I turned around, grabbing Kale by his arms, “Stop it, Kale!”

Kale’s eyes lit up with anger; it wasn’t the Kale I knew, “He started it!” He said childishly.

“It doesn’t matter; I’m asking you to end it!”

Soon enough, the little people standing around had formed around us, creating a small circle. The number of bystanders was slowly accumulating to be a much bigger number than I’d hoped.

Alex winced, his eye in pain. I went over to his side to help, but he’d already swung again at Kale, hitting him in the jawbone.

“S-Stop!” I cried again, even though I knew it wasn’t working.

Kale swung again, hitting Alex in the jaw. He let out another grunt, having all the wind knocked out of him. They both looked as if they’d pass out. I heard murmurs in the crowd standing around us to go call the nurse, and I watched as one ran off to get her. In the mean time, Alex and Kale continued to swing at each other as I tried to separate the two.

“I hate you!” Kale grimaced right after Alex took a swing at his gut.

“I hate you more!”

“No you don’t!”

“Do too!”

“Don’t!”

“Do!”

Swing.

All the other punches had been amateur, but when Kale sung quickly for the last time, Alex looked as if he were about to black out. I let out a screech and rushed over to help him up, grabbing onto his torso for dear life, but he was too heavy. A few other people I didn’t know that were bystanders came to help him stand up straight. He weighted me down to the point where my knees started to buckle and it felt as if he were using none of his own will to help himself up. I stole a glance at his face; he had a black eye and a swelling right cheek from where Kale had just punched him.