Chapter 12: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“So, look who decided to show!”

I turned my head towards the doorway, seeing Alex enter the room, his black hair messy and curly from not being straightened. His eyes were rimmed with the same blue that mine were. We exchanged a long, knowing glance. We’d gotten absolutely no bit of sleep. 3 hours, at the most, and I was about ready to pass out…we both were.

Parker smirked as Alex sat down. “So,” He said, furrowing his brows smugly, “You’ve decided to grace us with your presence, have you, Mr. Gray?”

Alex narrowed his eyes, “Shut up, or I’ll shut you up, Cobain.” He growled, immediately reaching into his backpack, retrieving a pillow from the bottom of his bag and setting it on his desk. He sat down at his desk and laid his head down on the pillow, yawning.

“Wow.” Kale said, his eyes growing wide, and he laughed.

I grinned at him, and then rolled my eyes at Alex. Kale was better, and had recovered very quickly from his sickness, but I’d never felt sicker. My nose was stuffed, my throat hurt, and I had the chills, still, after being in bed for a couple of hours.

“So, when’d you get back?” Parker asked Alex, sitting back in his chair.

“Why don’t you ask your mother? She’ll know,” Alex said smugly, burying his head in the pillow.

“Burn,” Another kid shouted, who overheard our little talk.

Parker narrowed his eyes, embarrassed, and then turned back to Alex, “You know, we were really worried. Sam was out extra late looking for you.”

“I know that,” Alex muttered into his pillow.

Kale scowled at him, joining into the conversation, “And did you ever think to say ‘thank you’?”

Alex glowered at him, raising his tired head to stare at Kale, “Fine. Thank you, Sam, for searching for me, so I could be brought back to this lovely institution, filled with pricks like Ka—”

Ring!

Right then, the expression “Saved by the Bell,” proved to be totally accurate, when it rang that exact moment, shutting Alex up.

Alex shut his mouth then shot Kale a look that read “we’ll finish this later.”

“Alright class,” Mr. Ferguson said, entering the room, holding a stack of flyers. He began to pass them out to each of us, “First order of business, Family Day.”

I froze up.

Family Day?

He went on, “Now, since a large portion of you kids are new this year, I’ll explain. ‘Family Day’ is when your family and friendscome to campus and peruse around with you kids and friends. You can introduce them to your teachers, your friends, or just hang out. It’s up to you.” He said, giving me a flyer. “But remember, it is mandatory that your family shows up.”