Chapter 45: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“What are you doing with my daughter?”

“N-Nothing!” Alex said defensively, throwing his hands up in the air and striding a good five feet away from me, “She had an eyelash in her eye! I was just…uh, assisting Sa-Samantha…because she was…” He paused and looked up at my mom bashfully, walking away, “Maybe it’s best if I just left—”

“No.” She said strictly, holding her hand out strictly, stopping him directly in his tracks, “Stay right there. I have some questions to ask you both.”

I pursed my dry lips together, feeling nervousness come over me like a virus, “Alright, mom. What do you want to know?” I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

My mom sighed, crossing her arms and narrowing her blue orbs, “Well, I want to know why that when I go outside, hoping to find my daughter looking for her earring, that I have to travel the perimeter of the building just to find her cuddling up to a boy and muttering about something that she doesn’t want me to know?” She frowned, shaking her head, “This isn’t looking well for you, Samantha.”

I bit my lip, clenching my fists, “Mom…you have to understand, I was—”

“But I don’t understand, Samantha!” My mom snapped, throwing her hands up exasperatedly, “Pleaseenlighten me on what it is so important that you’re lying to me about it.”

I felt my brain turn to mush as I searched for something to say, frantically trying to summon some clever trick that would clear me, but I couldn’t think of anything.

“Samantha?”

I exchanged a worried glance with Alex and looked back to my mother in distress. I slumped my shoulders, “Mom, I can’t tell you.”

She frowned, her eyes flashing with a mix of depression and anger, “You can’t tell me? When did we start lying to each other, Samantha?” She asked, tapping her foot, “Because this isn’t how I remembered you.” She said, shaking her head, summoning her words hoarsely, “I came here to see my daughter. And I’d really like her back.”

I felt hot tears sting my eyes as she said that, “Mom, I’m still the same. I just—”

“Just tell me.”

I bit my lip. How was I supposed to do this? I couldn’t tell her that I’d been lying to her for a year. The truth would only hurt more. I couldn’t…

“Mom, I just can’t…”

“And you?” My mom seemed to snap, turning her angry head towards Alex, shocking him with her tone of voice, “Do you know about this? Does this little secret involve you?”

Alex’s eyes widened. He was usually such a good liar, as I’d learned from experience, but right now, he seemed to draw a blank, “I…uh…Well, no, I just…”

“Mom!” I snapped, “Don’t interrogate Alex! It’s not his fault I lied to you and dad.” I snapped, clenching my fists so tight that my nails pierced my palms.